Bikes going onto ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

At 18 stone I restarted cycling after a ten year layoff. I was desperate to lose some of the weight I put on since retiring from work. A thousand miles (since fitting cycle computer) later I am still 18 stone. I haven't lost a flipping ounce. I don't overeat, and though not obsessive about food do eat reasonably healthily.

I can't see the point of killing myself for no benefit, so bollocks to cycling.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
You must feel better though!
Second sticky down by gb155 - that guy's lost more weight than you have now!
Stick with the cycling even if it's only for the best way to get around.
:?:

gavintc

Guru
It is a simple equation. If your intake is greater than your output, you put on weight. If you give up the cycling, your output will decrease and your intput will remain the same - you are going to get bigger unless you cut down on what goes in your mouth. Fairly basic really. I suggest you have a good look at what you eat in addition to how much. A pound of carrots will do you more good than a pound of pies.

Bill Gates

chillyuk said:
At 18 stone I restarted cycling after a ten year layoff. I was desperate to lose some of the weight I put on since retiring from work. A thousand miles (since fitting cycle computer) later I am still 18 stone. I haven't lost a flipping ounce. I don't overeat, and though not obsessive about food do eat reasonably healthily.

I can't see the point of killing myself for no benefit, so bollocks to cycling.

You sound as though you have had some experience so I hesitate to mention this but.........A 1000 miles sounds a lot, and it would be if it were over a month or even 2 months; or reasonable if over 3 months.

However you don't say how long you've been riding since your come back. It's the regularity of the exercise and a healthy diet which is the key to a Lifestyle changing weight loss regime.

OR if you've covered the mileage over a relatively short timespan then it could be that you are not getting the heart rate up sufficiently to burn the calories. It's hard to lose the weight when you are getting down to the last few lbs. but 18 stone is on the heavy side by most standards. How tall are you?

A few questions there and if the answers are all negative then still don't give up on the bike because like swimming, the body weight is supported so it's an ideal aerobic sport for the heavier athlete.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
From March until September this year I did 1608.69 miles on my bike including two 100 mile rides and guess what I did not lose a single pound, so from the end of September I decided to look at what I was eating. I use this website -> http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk to track what I eat and the exercise I take and I then know when I am eating more or less calories than I should. Of course there are many other ways of logging our intake but that one works for me. The fact is most people have no idea what there daily calorie intake should be or if they are exceeding it or not.

Since I started watching what I eat I have gone from 13 stone 3 to 12 stone 4 in 2 months I still go out on the bike and my mileage from March is now up to 2,396.08 and I am getting fitter and faster all the time and I can now get into a proper cycling jacket without looking like I am trying to smuggle a small primate inside it, but the point is without regulating what you are putting in your mouth, and finding out what your daily intake should be and what your daily intake actually is you will never lose weight, cycling will help and will keep you fit but it will not make you lose weight if you are eating more than you are burning off.

Some of the other things I did that also helped are giving up the following:

Chocolate Bars
Alcohol
Caffine
Junk Food
Take Aways (except the odd one every couple of weeks)

and I started eating alot of fruit and veg and salads and trying to have 3 meals a day (including breakfast) at a regular time everyday and it works for me.

ASC1951

Guru
chillyuk said:
I don't overeat, and though not obsessive about food do eat reasonably healthily.
Sorry, you have to face facts. Either you have changed the Laws of Physics, or you do overeat - maybe not by much, but even 100 calories a day adds up over the months.

I know about these things. I too eat healthily; just too much of it.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
phil_hg_uk said:
From March until September this year I did 1608.69 miles on my bike including two 100 mile rides and guess what I did not lose a single pound, so from the end of September I decided to look at what I was eating. I use this website -> http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk

Ah-ha! I thought I recognised your pic. ;) Did you find it yourself or was it from any recommendation?

I've been using the same site for a year and gone from just under 20st to 15st. I didn't think I was over eating but you soon realise you are. AS others have said: reduce your calorie intake and it'll come off.

dubhghall

Perhaps it is worth seeing your GP - could be another issue such as an underactive thyroid.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
That's fine. don't heed the body and cycling fascists on here.. if cycling is not for you then give it up. But as this is a cycling forum, then you are less likely to get a sympathetic hearing.
However, I do sense that you want to still lose weight and you have the time on your hands now... I would scoot around for more activity ideas

Trevrev

Veteran
I've been commuting by bike now for just over 2 years. 14.5 mile round trip. I started doing this to get fit and lose weight.
It was a nightmare to start with, i was so unfit, but i got there.
Unfortunately i never lost that much weight, 1/2 a stone maybe, thats all!!
Thats when the truth hit me !!!
I was eating too much. It was a hard fact but true.
I've lost 2.5 stone now, and i'm at my healthy target weight. The cycling is more a fitness thing, it does help shed calories, but you also need to help yourself a little by cutting out crap food, even if it's just during the week.

phil_hg_uk

eldudino said:
Ah-ha! I thought I recognised your pic. ;) Did you find it yourself or was it from any recommendation?

I've been using the same site for a year and gone from just under 20st to 15st. I didn't think I was over eating but you soon realise you are. AS others have said: reduce your calorie intake and it'll come off.

I used it before a couple of years ago but it was just after I stopped smoking and so I didnt stick with it. This time I have been putting in 100% and cutting out eating all the crap food so now I am losing weight and it is staying off.

I think the secret is you have to want to do it just like when I stopped smoking I just got sick of it and gave up. The first time I tried to lose weight I put it all back on again because I kept wanting to eat pizza and snacks all the time but this time I dont get the cravings because I have changed the way I live my life and I try to give myself time to get out on my bike and keep fit everyday and it seems to stop me wanting to eat rubbish food.

Personally I have dropped a stone this year by 30-60 mins riding a day every day and since I still eat the same quantity and type of food (chocolate etc) I can only conclude that my resting metabolic rate of has increased due to the small but regular spells of exercise - which if you are going out once a week is not going to happen.

phil_hg_uk

accountantpete said:
Personally I have dropped a stone this year by 30-60 mins riding a day every day and since I still eat the same quantity and type of food (chocolate etc) I can only conclude that my resting metabolic rate of has increased due to the small but regular spells of exercise - which if you are going out once a week is not going to happen.

I would imagine that what you normally eat is enough to maintain your weight and that your 30-60 mins of bike riding burns off a small amount of calories that add up over 12 months and equate to a weight loss over that period.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
People are used to eating large quantities and have a tendency to feed an exercise regime. Look at what a child eats and how much activity that can fuel, including growth.

If there aren't underlying medical issues then I'd take it to the bare bones until you flag on the bike, then build the food up until you don't. I guarantee you will be amazed at how little you can sustain exercise, and weight loss, on. but don't be stupid about it, cover the food groups and understand your nutrition. 20-30 miles on a bike, at a fair pace, is perfectly feasible without taking on board additional resources pre-ride.

Top Bottom