Going From Dumb To Smart Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Since 2015 I have used a dumb trainer/turbo, a cylops jet fluid pro something, rock steady, very dependable but boring.
But in the summer my PowerTap rear wheel decided to self identify as a random number generator.
While I was researching a new way of measuring the power, I came across a deal for the Neo 2T SE, I took the leap and bought one.

Wish I made the leap years ago, instead of being a chore that had to be endured it's become something I really want to do.
I have been able to ride virtual HC climbs I will probably never ever ride from the comfort of my own garage, and watching classic Dr Who(again).
Also good timing with all the crap weather we have had this winter, now prefer the Neo over using my winter bike.
I have done Tacx's version of "La Marmotte" twice now and I am currently working through their "King of the Mountains" playlist.
This week, I have completed The Angliru, Zoncolan and yesterday Passo dello Stelvio, loved every minute of them, looking forward to tomorrows virtual ride up Ventoux.
Main thing I have learned tackling these virtual HC climbs is to use the power meter more to ensure I don't blow up.
I also have even more respect for anyone who ridden these climbs in real life, especially racing up the in a stage race.

Haven't been this cycling fit since 2015, so it should be a very good spring/summer on the road, fingers crossed for the weather.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
You know the next step is joining one of the platforms and entering some races !! Beware ! It is addictive
Good luck

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm a fan of the Tacx movies too. I've been doing Mt Hotham recently, and I've done most of those you mentioned.

Although I have a pretty strong suspicion that these climbs would be significantly harder in real life.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
I'm a fan of the Tacx movies too. I've been doing Mt Hotham recently, and I've done most of those you mentioned.

Although I have a pretty strong suspicion that these climbs would be significantly harder in real life.

I would assume much harder, no worrying about rear wheel slip, lifting the front wheel, stopping on a really steep part and not being able to restart, nature breaks etc.
Main one's for me are not worrying how fast it was done and the going down part(way to scary for me).

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Noooo.

There is a world outside ! :whistle:

I'll be outside once the weather improves, fair weather rider these days:rain: (apart from the 20 minute cycle to work) and limited days of the week I have the free time.
I need to see what difference it has made to my road riding and only one way to find that out, legs already look good though🦵🦵

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being

The movie for the Stelvio is epic, the view of the road snaking up the side of the mountain is awe inspiring.

CXRAndy

Guru
Although I have a pretty strong suspicion that these climbs would be significantly harder in real life

I have ridden a few of the famous climbs in the real world, Alp d Huez, Galibier, Ventoux Mt Teide etc. There is a difference, but not a lot. The virtual experience puts you in a mental attitude that you can do it, the feel is similar, only the altitude becomes a problem for some, but most cope albeit with a drop off in pace.

avsd

Guru
I found the Garmin Tacx simulations/movies very close to the real world - within 5% on Ventoux,, Col d' Aspin Tourmalet and Alpe d'Huez. The one exception was Stelvio. It felt much harder and took an extra 20 minutes (10%) to my Garmin Tacx time. - I think it was the impact of altitude over 2000m..

Outside/endurance training is an essential part of training which is difficult to do inside. 3-4 hours in club run is so much more enjoyable than 2-3 hours on turbo. Weather permitting of course.

CXRAndy

Guru
I found the Garmin Tacx simulations/movies very close to the real world - within 5% on Ventoux,, Col d' Aspin Tourmalet and Alpe d'Huez. The one exception was Stelvio. It felt much harder and took an extra 20 minutes (10%) to my Garmin Tacx time. - I think it was the impact of altitude over 2000m..

Outside/endurance training is an essential part of training which is difficult to do inside. 3-4 hours in club run is so much more enjoyable than 2-3 hours on turbo. Weather permitting of course.

I do the vast majority of my training lets say indoors. I always found the uncontrolled pacing of my club difficult to get good consistent workout. Where as 4 hour indoor event the pacing is controlled through red fencing (Zwift). I can get a much better quality ride with regards to fitness indoors, but outdoors is enjoyable when the weather is good (barring crazy drivers)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have ridden a few of the famous climbs in the real world, Alp d Huez, Galibier, Ventoux Mt Teide etc. There is a difference, but not a lot. The virtual experience puts you in a mental attitude that you can do it, the feel is similar, only the altitude becomes a problem for some, but most cope albeit with a drop off in pace.

I'm gratified to hear that. I've never ridden any climbs like that, and part of the reason that I think the turbo must be signifcantly easier is that I've ridden many of these big climb simulations - Ventoux many times - and while they're bloody hard work I can manage them OK without completely falling to bits. My reasoning is that if I'm managing them OK then they must be falsely easy. If that's not the case then it indirectly means that maybe I'm not as rubbish as I think I am ;)

And yes, I have been honest about my real 90kg weight and dialled up the bike weight to try to match my steel bike in the turbo software.

One point I would make is that my trainer can't really simulate the very steep gradients. It's a Tacx Flux which I think claims it can simulate up to 16% but I think realism falls off well before that. The steep sections on the turbo are hard, but they're hard in a kind of slow motion squashy way. I ride a lot of steep gradients in the real world and they don't feel like that. You never get that "about to grind to a halt" feeling on the turbo. I rode the Angliru simulation and then watched the GCN video of Conor Dunne falling to pieces on the hard gradients of the Angliru. No way were they the same thing.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm too am a Clydesdale -200lb plus rider. Climbing mountains is down to gearing, being able to maintain a decent cadence.

I used a triple crank with 48/36/26 teeth. I then matched it with 11-40 cassette. I could maintain 80+rpm for multi hour climbs on any gradient that was possible to ride up. As long as you can keep balance you can ride up it

That's the secret for not blowing up with exhaustion in the legs

Here is one of my climbs up Teide, you can see the duration, elevation gained, time (small break mid way) and average cadence 16 miles at 83rpm average, elevation gain 5577ft

Teide climb.jpg

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
personally I think pretending to go up a mountain on your trainer is very close to going up the real thing minus the weather and altitude , you add on a head wind and high altitude you are in for a lot of pain but the trainer if set up best it can be gives you a very good idea what is expected on the day. if the mountain gets above a certain height then it really knocks the legs out of me, all plans of saving a bit for the end just go out the window ands survival mode kicks in , how they manage to race up those just rams it home how fit they really are

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
I'm gratified to hear that. I've never ridden any climbs like that, and part of the reason that I think the turbo must be signifcantly easier is that I've ridden many of these big climb simulations - Ventoux many times - and while they're bloody hard work I can manage them OK without completely falling to bits. My reasoning is that if I'm managing them OK then they must be falsely easy. If that's not the case then it indirectly means that maybe I'm not as rubbish as I think I am ;)

And yes, I have been honest about my real 90kg weight and dialled up the bike weight to try to match my steel bike in the turbo software.

One point I would make is that my trainer can't really simulate the very steep gradients. It's a Tacx Flux which I think claims it can simulate up to 16% but I think realism falls off well before that. The steep sections on the turbo are hard, but they're hard in a kind of slow motion squashy way. I ride a lot of steep gradients in the real world and they don't feel like that. You never get that "about to grind to a halt" feeling on the turbo. I rode the Angliru simulation and then watched the GCN video of Conor Dunne falling to pieces on the hard gradients of the Angliru. No way were they the same thing.

The Neo 2 can simulate upto 25%, so on the Angliru video when it went to over 20% it hurt still maintained a reasonanle cadence but was very satisfying to complete.

Top Bottom