Bikes like Defy and Synapse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
School me up on these two bikes, or bikes like them. I know the geometry is a little relaxed but I really want to know if all that talk of carbon layup really does give a smoother ride than (say) a TCR or Supersix. I rode a Defy and while it kind of felt a tad more comfortable, I couldn't tell enough because I was a little taken back by the upright geometry; the sales guys said the roads I tested on were not quite rough enough to appreciate the ride quality.

If anyone's ridden these bikes (particularly when compared with same wheels/tyres on TCR and Supersix), is the ride really smoother?

vickster

Legendary Member
You can get carbon Synapses

Loads of Canny lovers will disagree but i had a Synapse Carbon ultegra and got rid after six mths as the back end felt soft and the bike didnt have enough 'feel' for me. Wondered if it was wheels but Ksyrium Elites seemed ok. Swapped for a Ghost with Easton wheels and problem solved, its all personal preference?

School me up on these two bikes, or bikes like them. I know the geometry is a little relaxed but I really want to know if all that talk of carbon layup really does give a smoother ride than (say) a TCR or Supersix. I rode a Defy and while it kind of felt a tad more comfortable, I couldn't tell enough because I was a little taken back by the upright geometry; the sales guys said the roads I tested on were not quite rough enough to appreciate the ride quality.

If anyone's ridden these bikes (particularly when compared with same wheels/tyres on TCR and Supersix), is the ride really smoother?
I've done 35,000km on my Avail. Almost all - I now learn - at sub-pootling speeds. I like it.

I don't really understand what you are asking, so that's all I can say.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I own both a Defy and a Synapse and like for like they both feel smoother than my other bikes, however I have them as ‘slammed’ as possible. I don’t know if it is the geometry or layup causing this. However, switching to 28mm tubeless tyres has made far more difference than the frame choice for smoothness.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Yup I understand about the tires making a huge difference. What I mean is, if the wheels and tyres on a Defy (or similar bike) are the same as on a TCR (or similar bike), then will the Defy have a smoother ride on rough road? Is there something in the design of the Defy's frame that makes it smoother?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I have both a Defy 5 (alu) and a TCR 1 Advanced (carbon ) i think the same model now is the pro 1 .
I cant tell the difference from looking at the frames and measuring them , i took a picture to try and see what they had changed .

24664670407_a5ab3b87ec_z.jpg

To me the frames are the same , the only thing i can see is the rear triangle is shallower on the TCR making it more compact .
Riding the two bikes is another story . The TCR feels like it just wants to go and i love riding it ! I remember when i first got the TCR i thought it felt a little sketchy on the road but remember it is a full on race bike . So rather than saying the TCR is sketchy i would say the Defy is more stable .
I put the stock wheels i got with the TCR on my Defy aswell as the stock handle bars so i would say my defy is TCR pimped .

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d think the carbon bike would feel less jarring assuming same tyres and pressures etc. no roadbike will feel especially smooth on a really rough road. I can’t see why a more racy geometry (usually a shorter headtube and fewer spacers I think) would feel less ‘smooth’.

As above what is it you really want to know??

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I have both a Defy 5 (alu) and a TCR 1 Advanced (carbon ) i think the same model now is the pro 1 .
I cant tell the difference from looking at the frames and measuring them , i took a picture to try and see what they had changed .

View attachment 390221

To me the frames are the same , the only thing i can see is the rear triangle is shallower on the TCR making it more compact .
Riding the two bikes is another story . The TCR feels like it just wants to go and i love riding it ! I remember when i first got the TCR i thought it felt a little sketchy on the road but remember it is a full on race bike . So rather than saying the TCR is sketchy i would say the Defy is more stable .
I put the stock wheels i got with the TCR on my Defy aswell as the stock handle bars so i would say my defy is TCR pimped .

I have a Defy and a TCR, and I love them both, but the TCR is the one for taking corners at speed, I find I have to fight the DEFY to get it around a bend at speed, I find myself having to think about how to get around the bend as it approaches where the TCR happily changed direction.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
I’d think the carbon bike would feel less jarring assuming same tyres and pressures etc. no roadbike will feel especially smooth on a really rough road. I can’t see why a more racy geometry (usually a shorter headtube and fewer spacers I think) would feel less ‘smooth’.

As above what is it you really want to know??

If I have ride a TCR and Defy (or supersix and synapse carbon) on rough roads, with same wheels/tyres/pressures, then NOT considering the geometry, is there something in the frame of the defy (or synapse) that gives it a smoother/compliant/plusher ride?

(Like mentioned, I test rode a Defy but not on rough roads).

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't see why personally, but I don't ride race geometries. It's more about the fit, your flexibility and personal preference. What do you have currently.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
These threads tend to mystify me as I've never ridden a bike that wasn't smooth. As far as I've experienced if you get your position right, have a saddle that suits you and ride decent quality tyres and tubes you won't have a problem. Of course if you go touring or off roading on a track bike you'll ache, but that's because you're using the wrong tool for the job.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If I have ride a TCR and Defy (or supersix and synapse carbon) on rough roads, with same wheels/tyres/pressures, then NOT considering the geometry, is there something in the frame of the defy (or synapse) that gives it a smoother/compliant/plusher ride?

Yes! With the caveats you know about already.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2

Both are racing bike so both a bit shoot for comfort . Mike mentioned above about cornering but to be honest ive never gone that fast on the Defy to notice . The Defy is nice to ride and get around on . The TCR is good for training and club rides and the Trinity is just a farking mental machine !

Top Bottom