Bikes on TGVs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
There's a possibility that I'm going straight from taking the parents cycling in the Loire to my ski trip in the Alps! Fab, eh? I LOVE the idea of getting off the train in Bourg St Maurice and cycling up to Meribel....or wherever we end up going. That would be amazing!

This means I might need to take Liesl on the TGV. What are the rules these days on taking bikes on a TGV?

pinkkaz

Veteran
Don't do it! It's a total nightmare! There is hardly any space for it. Well, my husband and I managed it but it was really stressful and we were blocking everyone's exit/entrance. There's hardly even enough space for everyone's luggage let alone bikes. Saying that, all of the french passengers on the train were really nice and helped us on and off with all our panniers etc. If it had been in England you would have had tut tuts and, "what are they doing with those bikes in such a small space" etc. On the way back to Paris we took the local train where there was plenty of space for about 8+ bikes in the carriage we were in, and it was soooo much more relaxing.

So, what I'm trying to say is that it's technically possible, but I really wouldn't recommend it...!

andym

Über Member
It's perfectly doable - but you will need a bag. Some TGV services have bike spaces, but the services to the Alps definitely don't. The Ground Effect Tardis bag fits perfectly.

On doubledecker TGVs the spaces on the lower tier always fill first but there will be space upstairs. On single-decker TGVs it's best to turn up early, as the luggage racks at the end of the carriages always fill up with small cases that could have gone on the overhead racks.

Other options to consider are taking a night train from Paris - the night trains have bike spaces - or sending by the SNCF's freight service: IIRC, if you send 24 hours in advance you can collect on arrival.

Don't underestimate what could be involved. A thousand metre continuous climb is one thing in sunshine but might be less fun in rain and snow. If you take the bike in a bag you can of course simply jump on the connecting bus if the weather is poor.

jack the lad

I think it is the same as the rules for Eurostar. Basically it is carry on luggage if in a bike bag. As you are handling your own luggage it doesn't need to be a hard case or padded bag. You could make your own 90 cm x 120 cm bag out of an old sheet or something that you can stuff easily in your pannier or a hedge bottom.

pinkkaz

Veteran
Ah, I don't know about double decker tgvs. The bike bag would have to be quite a small one I should think (take both wheels off etc.)

andym

Über Member
Actually the rules aren't the same as for Eurostar - you can carry an unpacked bike on Eurostar (if you're prepared to cough up a hefty £25 each way).

Yes, you need to take the wheels off and pedals off, as a minimum.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hi

Thanks everyone. I gave the RailEurope guys a call today (having not seen this thread) and you're all right - bag it, take the wheels off and take it on as luggage. It's an option anyway!!! I'm happy to stump up the cash if I can rest in peace knowing I'll get on. LOVE the overnight idea as well.

Thanks everyone - all advice very gratefully received.

Top Bottom