Bikes on trains in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
If you want to take the TGV with a bike in a bag to Barcelona, there's another interesting option bypassing Paris with changes in Brussels and Lyon.
Certainly, if you're heading south, it's much easier to change in Lille from Eurostar to TGV... simply hop across platforms.

OP
OP
Low Gear Guy

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Certainly, if you're heading south, it's much easier to change in Lille from Eurostar to TGV... simply hop across platforms.
But not with a full sized bike
:sad:.

Unfortunately Eurostar do not permit bikes in SNCF sized bags. It would have to be in Eurostar box which presumably has to be returned to the Eurostar luggage desk.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Two of us are planning a trip with bikes to Corsica. One option is train travel to Nice or thereabouts. A couple of years ago I returned from Perpignon on a sleeper with hanging bike storage, but similar to Nice appears to have disappeared.

Ivo

But beware, there are 2 railway stations in Lille. Lille Europe and Lille Flandres. They are not that far away from eachother but lugging a bike bag between them would take a few minutes.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Haha, I'm on a TGV at this moment, and what can I see?

IMG_20200214_130109.jpg

But not with a full sized bike
:sad:.

Unfortunately Eurostar do not permit bikes in SNCF sized bags. It would have to be in Eurostar box which presumably has to be returned to the Eurostar luggage desk.

Eurostar is a bit of an issue. It has been a couple of years since I used it and so someone please correct me if I am out of date.

As far as i Know You can take a full sized bike on Eurostar if you book in advance, the wrinkle being that you can only unload at a terminus. If you want to bag the bike and take it in the carriage it needs to to fit eurostar baggage dimensions meaning no side longer than 85cm, I think you can put a bike in a bag and have it treated as oversized but this means that, like a bike you need to go to the terminal.

It is all a bit of pain and as I did the trip regularly I ended up buying a bike with Ritchey breakaway couplers so it fits in an 85cm case

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Tenkaykev

Guru
I'm not riding Corsican hills on a Brompton, okay?

There's a YouTube video of a guy going up and down Alpe d'Huez on a Brommie, gets a tad hairy on the descent.
Just swap out the front chain ring for a 44 and you'll be fine 😉

Reactions: mjr

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There's a YouTube video of a guy going up and down Alpe d'Huez on a Brommie, gets a tad hairy on the descent.
Just swap out the front chain ring for a 44 and you'll be fine 😉
A friend of mine will descend on his Brompton at speed, with hands linked behind his back in a sort of head-first aero-position. But he is a complete insaniac.

Top Bottom