Bikes on trains .. what do you do with a reservation code?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonredhornet

Hi,

I'm riding JOGLE again in July but this time I'm heading to the start via train (Cross Country Trains and then Scotrail). I've reserved bike spaces for each leg of my journey and have been given a reservation code. Does anybody have any experience with this, what am I to do with the code when I'm at the station? I'm presuming I go to the ticket office but I want to ask around to be sure.

Also, are bikes normally loaded at the rear of the train? I've searched the forums regarding this and it seems some load at the front (some Virgin trains)

Thanks,

Jon

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Arrive in good time and ask the platform/station staff and they should be able to tell you which end/which coach on which service you need to put your bike into. With the Virgin Pendolinos it depends which way they are running the stock, generally rear going south and front going north but there can be occasional exceptions so ask.

Good luck.

robjh

Legendary Member
generally I do nothing with it other than note it down (just in case, no-one has ever asked for it). However, I recently booked a bike on the Virgin pendolino service on the Euston-Birmingham line, and there the call-centre person told me to get a ticket from the machine using the code given - I did as asked, and it worked. That then gives you 2 tickets, one to keep with you and one to attach to the bike - but once again I'd be astonished if it's ever checked.
As suggested above, you could always go to the ticket office and check if you need to do anything, or else just try at the ticket collection machine (but don't panic if it's not there). The general message is that it's less hassle in reality than it sounds.

As for loading, it all depends on the train type. Virgin pendolinos use coach A (I think usually at the northern end, but just check) - and you have to have the door unlocked for you. The new streamlined units on CrossCountry long-distance services use coach D, and you just walk in and hang the bike up. More local trains using 2 or 3-coach units usually (but don't always) have one doorway with a bike symbol, but most times you can store it anywhere as long as you are sensible and don't block access.

Brandane

Legendary Member
You shouldn't have any problems with the sections you are doing on Scotrail. Their policy seems to be pretty much a case of take as many bikes as possible, within reason. I use them on a weekly basis and have never been turned away.
Some trains have a section for storing bikes but if that is full, then they don't have a problem with you using the doorways, as long as you use some common sense and stay with the bike so that you can move it from side to side depending on what side the doors are opening at particular stations - you don't want your bike falling out onto the platform when the automatic doors slide open!
There is probably a maximum amount of bikes that can be taken. I would imagine 2 bikes per door would be as much as they can safely carry, so I'm guessing at 4 per carriage; 12 per train (obviously depends on train length). On occasions like the day of Pedal for Scotland (Glasgow to Edinburgh charity ride) then the trains between Glasgow and Edinburgh won't take bikes as they would be overrun with them. Same might apply if there is a large LEJOG or JOGLE event taking place.

robgul

Legendary Member
Train identification for the modern "Toytown" trains is easy : one end of the train has two yellow marks on the front (between where the buffers would be on an old train) - normally the bike cupboard is at the other end of the train.

AND I would make every effort to get a physical paper ticket for your bike for the Inverness - Wick/Thurso train. See www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk and Journal No 176 - Rob & Joe's JOGLE for a cautionary tale!

Rob

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You must have a physical piece of paer with your booing printed on it for the final leg of the journey with Scotrail. The staff might be OK on other services but they are tyrants on the Inverness - Thurso/Wick service. In fact I'd just get a bike reservation and not bother with the rail ticket. the conductor/guard was determined to see my bike reservation and paid no interest in my invalid rail ticket when I travelled north six or so years ago.

The likelihood of eviction without documentary evidence of a bike reservation is extremely high.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
You shouldn't have any problems with the sections you are doing on Scotrail. Their policy seems to be pretty much a case of take as many bikes as possible, within reason. I use them on a weekly basis and have never been turned away.
Some trains have a section for storing bikes but if that is full, then they don't have a problem with you using the doorways, as long as you use some common sense and stay with the bike so that you can move it from side to side depending on what side the doors are opening at particular stations - you don't want your bike falling out onto the platform when the automatic doors slide open!
There is probably a maximum amount of bikes that can be taken. I would imagine 2 bikes per door would be as much as they can safely carry, so I'm guessing at 4 per carriage; 12 per train (obviously depends on train length). On occasions like the day of Pedal for Scotland (Glasgow to Edinburgh charity ride) then the trains between Glasgow and Edinburgh won't take bikes as they would be overrun with them. Same might apply if there is a large LEJOG or JOGLE event taking place.

I have had several instances of Scotrail refusing to carry my bike.

Once, the door on the carraige with the bike space was out of order, so I was not allowed to get on even though the rest of the train was near-empty. Another time, we were not allowed to store three bikes in the bike space. I've never had problems with the local trains with no bike spaces though.

Scotrail may check your reservation on long distance routes, if the train is fully booked as can happen in the summer (happened to me once on the West Highland line).

Brandane

Legendary Member
Once, the door on the carraige with the bike space was out of order, so I was not allowed to get on even though the rest of the train was near-empty. Another time, we were not allowed to store three bikes in the bike space. I've never had problems with the local trains with no bike spaces though.

Scotrail may check your reservation on long distance routes, if the train is fully booked as can happen in the summer (happened to me once on the West Highland line).

I suppose there will always be an odd jobsworth ticket inspector train manager who feels the need to stamp his authority. I can only speak for my own experiences which have been favourable. I normally only use the Clyde coast lines Glasgow/Largs or Glasgow/Greenock, and occasionally Glasgow/Edinburgh, Glasgow/Balloch/Helensburgh.

OP
OP
J

jonredhornet

Huge thanks for the replies guys, very useful information that has helped me out a lot.

Top Bottom