Bikes on Trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
An old news link, but easier find than on Arriva's site.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42937218

Looks remarkably spiffy. Unfortunately they don't seem to have corridor connections so you can't get to your bike from the rrest of the train. (Unless the Scotrail units have end connections?)

classic33

Leg End Member
Looks remarkably spiffy. Unfortunately they don't seem to have corridor connections so you can't get to your bike from the rrest of the train. (Unless the Scotrail units have end connections?)
One of the plans was to have half a carriage that was comverted to cycle/luggage carrying.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Interesting. 153s can’t be used on their own beyond 2020, as the toilet cannot be accessed from the wheelchair position, as the door nearest the toilet isn’t wide enough.
So the only option is to remove the toilet, move the toilet to the other end (major mod) or only run with other units. Or do something really imaginative, which is what this could be.

Last edited:
Interesting. 153s can’t be used beyond 2020, as the toilet cannot be accessed from the wheelchair position, as the door nearest the toilet isn’t wide enough.
So the only option is to remove the toilet, move the toilet to the other end (major mod) or fit a gangway end on (major modification). Or do something really imaginative, which is what this could be.

Are we talking about the same thing here? I assumed that the class 153 already had gangwayed ends, those being the corridor connection visible on the end of the Unit. Are you talking about something else? (Eighteen years outside of the UK means I miss things occasionally)

Or do you mean the 153's will provide the disabled bog for the rest of the train? I that's the idea, surely the new trains coming onstream will have a wheelchair accessible privvy?

If they're going for a major mod, perhaps they'll make some nice wide doors for bicycles...

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Are we talking about the same thing here? I assumed that the class 153 already had gangwayed ends, those being the corridor connection visible on the end of the Unit. Are you talking about something else? (Eighteen years outside of the UK means I miss things occasionally)

Or do you mean the 153's will provide the disabled bog for the rest of the train? I that's the idea, surely the new trains coming onstream will have a wheelchair accessible privvy?

If they're going for a major mod, perhaps they'll make some nice wide doors for bicycles...
Sorry, yes you are right, they do have gangway ends. Problem is finding something modern to attach it to. Can't run on their own post 2020.

Now corrected my original post.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was confused for a bit. Presumably the units can still work in multiple with the never units then?

Another thought: if the gangways are unusable, does that mean that in the event of a fairly heavy conversion, they may be removed?

A nice wide push-button plug door would be useful too...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That makes sense although I wonder if the doors and vestibules will be wide enough? I also remember reading that after about 5 coaches it becomes as cost effective to have a loco+ coach combo.
From memory of rural lines in the west country and west midlands, the external doors on 153s are pretty wide and the vestibule at at least one end seemed like a chipboard partition, so those shouldn't be particularly difficult to adapt. For some reason, the doors on the east midlands 153s look narrower but it could be a trick of the paint job.

Top Bottom