Bikes on trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
An interesting development from Scotrail regarding bikes on trains.
https://road.cc/content/news/267921...g-west-highland-line-carriages-space-20-bikes

Edit. And here is an image of the external view, none of your little bike symbols on a door!
1571869630028.png

Last edited:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Now *that's* a step in the right direction! Can only hope that other operators follow, but I suspect that other newly launched rolling stock is not, or will not, be so generous.

Slick

Guru
Without wanting to appear ungrateful or anything but I wouldn't get too excited about the new stock just yet as I'm sure the usual unfathomable Scotrail way of doing things will come into play and you won't be able to reserve your space. :wacko:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Anything has to be better than the current move to a hook in a broom cupboard.
Not a current move because various other Sprinters (and Voyagers?) have had that for decades. More recently, Desiros and Flirts have had seatbelt-style straps to tie your bike to the wall, taking 3 a space easily, or 5 if you're careful and the guard allows it. Always take your luggage off to maximise the number of bikes that can fit.

Without wanting to appear ungrateful or anything but I wouldn't get too excited about the new stock just yet as I'm sure the usual unfathomable Scotrail way of doing things will come into play and you won't be able to reserve your space. :wacko:
May have to take a bike on a scotrail service soon.
Can you elaborate?

OldShep

Über Member
I’ve reserved my bike twice on that line. Once 6 weeks in advance and once on the day at the station.

Slick

Guru
May have to take a bike on a scotrail service soon.
Can you elaborate?
See post below, but my experience 9n busy lines like this is they will not accept reservations. On a recent trip to Newcastle, I could reserve my space on the virgin line from Edinburgh to Newcastle but couldn't guarantee a spot to get me to Edinburgh. Really frustrating.

Slick

Guru
I’ve reserved my bike twice on that line. Once 6 weeks in advance and once on the day at the station.
On the trip posted above, I was met by a concerned female guard who had already sent 20 cyclists home as they couldn't take them and she thought I was going to be number 21. This was end of July this year, no reservations were possible.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Cannot remember the dates Slick but it may coincide with the rail lines being washed out by floodwater. There was a replacement bus service which seemed to involve changing at Crianlarich.

Top Bottom