Bikes on Trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Staff on the west coast line generally excellent. You should always make contact with the staff member on the platform before the train rolls in - you will then be fine - assuming you have a booking of course.
I once asked a member of staff in Birmingham New Street which end of the platform to stand for a particular coach. He had no idea - and he was waiting to assist someone in a wheelchair off the train. "No idea until it arrives..."

I once asked a member of staff in Birmingham New Street which end of the platform to stand for a particular coach. He had no idea - and he was waiting to assist someone in a wheelchair off the train. "No idea until it arrives..."
was he from the train company of the arriving train?

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Yes, those trains, and the old HSTs, did have a dedicated section for bikes separate from the passenger areas, but they were integral to the train and not a separate (or separable) wagon. They dated back to the days when intercity trains were expected to carry parcels traffic.
The WCML Pedolinos are very much post-parcels traffic. Not too sure why there is such a large area - could well be due to crashworthiness and the fact they are designed for 140 mile/h operation, so need to reduce the passenger seating in the leading coach.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Usually at the country, rather than London end for Pendolino. London end is first class, so it is a pain if you have a first class ticket (say you got a billy bargain) and a bike, meaning you have to set off to get to the right end of the train about 20 minutes before you arrive.

Last edited:
Dunno, I'd have thought station staff?

I expect it was a Cross Country train, but New St is big & confusing for me - Newcastle isn't so complicated.
New Street used to be one of the worst stations in the country - must have been a nightmare for anyone controlling trains in and out of it. Has a fortune spent on it - much improved I think.
If getting on a train with a bike it's always the train company staff you need - everytime I have been at Preston there has been a very helpful train company bod to get me sorted.
Seem to recall a particularly helpful chap called Colin - a cyclist I think - maybe even lurks here.

robjh

Legendary Member
The WCML Pedolinos are very much post-parcels traffic. Not too sure why there is such a large area - could well be due to crashworthiness and the fact they are designed for 140 mile/h operation, so need to reduce the passenger seating in the leading coach.
You're quite right, I was mixing my East and West coasts when I wrote that and thinking of the class 82 driving trailers. Even they though were introduced in the late 80s, but I guess the design started earlier and was always going to end up with a lot of spare space in the trailer.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

You're quite right, I was mixing my East and West coasts when I wrote that and thinking of the class 82 driving trailers. Even they though were introduced in the late 80s, but I guess the design started earlier and was always going to end up with a lot of spare space in the trailer.

East Coast DVTs were definitely due to crashworthiness. In those days travelling in the front coach of a train above 100 mile/h was reserved for train crew / drivers only. No passengers at all. Since then there has been a lot of development on building collapse structures and energy absorption mechanisms for trains, and passengers are now allowed in the front coach.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
But woe betide you if you were waiting at the wrong end of the platform when the 11-coach behemoth drew in for its planned two minute stop!

I got told off by a guard about being wrong end of platform. They had to apologise when I told them I had been standing where the station staff had said to wait with my bike. It’s rubbish and the problem and solution is in their hands.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

I got told off by a guard about being wrong end of platform. They had to apologise when I told them I had been standing where the station staff had said to wait with my bike. It’s rubbish and the problem and solution is in their hands.

Pendolinos are generally the same way round. So either the station staff didn't have a clue (probable) or the train operator had managed to turn one round and hadn't got it facing the right way yet.

Would be great to have a system where the train tracking software knows which way it is travelling, and using station navigation systems can tell you where to stand if you need a cycle, wheelchair or reduced mobility seat. Even better, connected to your seat reservation if you have one.

On info, i seem to remember that the west coast line member of staff i spoke to at preston for an incoming london bound train knew that two cyclists were about to get off it. And they did.
It wasn"t always so efficient of course.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Here in Washington DC we can roll ‘em right onto the Metro for stops in Maryland, DC and Virginia. Or 2 bikes can ride on the front of any of our Metro buses. Pre-pandemic I would put my bike on the front of a bus to get into work and ride it home. This is my 1998 Bianchi Ocelot taking a ride on an empty Metro.

299EA8C7-2A91-49E4-94AF-5040C2D1523D.jpeg

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Pendolinos are generally the same way round. So either the station staff didn't have a clue (probable) or the train operator had managed to turn one round and hadn't got it facing the right way yet.

Would be great to have a system where the train tracking software knows which way it is travelling, and using station navigation systems can tell you where to stand if you need a cycle, wheelchair or reduced mobility seat. Even better, connected to your seat reservation if you have one.
Main stations such as Reading have zones marked out on the platform with additional information on the electronic display. This works well until you get the dreaded message 'This train is in reverse formation' which triggers a mass panic on the platform.

Mike_P

Guru
Northern are hopeless, two bikes only and no pre booking so it's pot luck whether you can get on but if you do and have not bought a ticket in case you cannot you get fined. Conclusion do not bother considering to use the train.

Northern are hopeless, two bikes only and no pre booking so it's pot luck whether you can get on but if you do and have not bought a ticket in case you cannot you get fined. Conclusion do not bother considering to use the train.
don't understand the last bit of your first sentence.
As above I consider northern to be excellent with bikes, despite their many other ills.
Hopefully on the other ills they have improved/are improving and the train will turn up and you won't have to bike it the whole way.

Top Bottom