Billy Bulls**t

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Uncle Mort said:
Oxford give every honours graduate a master's for a small fee a few years after graduating as BAs

Whilst that is true (and of Cambridge and Dublin too), it's not quite fair to infer anything lesser by it. These universities are maintaining a tradition of awarding the MA title on standing rather than qualification.

The full course was historically much longer (up to 7 years) and the BA status was a kind of intermediate status on the way to full MA qualification. In those days, students started their studies younger than today's students and the studies were more broadly based. With the reduction of length of the course of study, the assumption is that much of that early learning is now covered by the student's school and so the student, by virtue of 3 or 4 years additional university education and passing their BA qualification, has also reached (after a qualifying period, that period differing dependant on the university and degree course) a rank or standard equal to the former MA.

Oh, and talk to an Oxford/Cambridge/Dublin MA student and they'll tell you it's harder too! :ohmy:

Edit: Apparently, for an Oxford degree, you can't cite both BA and MA - if you've been 'upgraded' to MA then you are no longer BA... a moot point perhaps!

Greedo

Guy told me once that he was going to Juventus for his holidays!

got-to-get-fit

Hmmmm.....i knew a guy who said he was on holiday in scotland. As a treat for his birthday his wife bought him a round of golf at St Andrews.
Just about to tee off he was tapped on the shoulders by a man in a dark suit and sunglasses. The guy explains that he is the bodyguard of a very famous man and he is looking for a golf partner for his client to play 18 holes with. My mate says sure no problem, i dont like playing alone anyway.
The bodyguard signals over to a group of men and from the group steps a guy with a nice set of clubs, sunglasses and an baseball cap with the american presidential crest emblazoned on it.
Hi....im Bill Clinton says the guy.

My friend tells this story with such conviction that you almost have to believe him. The trouble is he has a thousand more such ludicrous stories.

yello

got-to-get-fit said:
My friend tells this story with such conviction that you almost have to believe him.

He can't seriously believe that people will believe that story surely? The guy isn't just a bs-er, he has a problem.

got-to-get-fit

...well he certainly seems to believe it.

Another of his nuggets is that during his uncles wake (he's a big catholic) The whole family are in the front parlour drinking whisky, smoking and singing old irish songs around the coffin. They eventually decide that it is unfair that the dead uncle is missing out on all the fun and that he would have loved this kind of party. So.......they opened the coffin, dragged the uncle out, sat him in an armchair, put a fag in his mouth, rested a glass of whisky in his hand and carried on with the party. He reckons he has photos of them all sitting with their arms around the deceased and toasting him .....but he has yet to provide this as evidence.

ChrisKH

Guru
got-to-get-fit said:
...well he certainly seems to believe it.

Another of his nuggets is that during his uncles wake (he's a big catholic) The whole family are in the front parlour drinking whisky, smoking and singing old irish songs around the coffin. They eventually decide that it is unfair that the dead uncle is missing out on all the fun and that he would have loved this kind of party. So.......they opened the coffin, dragged the uncle out, sat him in an armchair, put a fag in his mouth, rested a glass of whisky in his hand and carried on with the party. He reckons he has photos of them all sitting with their arms around the deceased and toasting him .....but he has yet to provide this as evidence.

Well I suppose it's possible, but hardly very dignified. I can only remember my Dad being stone cold and very dead. It would have been very difficult to lift him out of the coffin and make him sit down. Not that I tried,but you know what I mean.

Mr Pig

got-to-get-fit said:
he hitched a lift in monaco and when he jumped in the car it was nigel mansel.

All this happened to one guy? Naa.

I know of a chap who claims a beautiful French woman asked him for directions, it ended up with her inviting him back to her mother's wine chateau were she insisted that he married her, non of his mates believed it until they saw photos and were invited to the wedding, oh, er, hang on...;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
got-to-get-fit said:
he also believes he hitched a lift in monaco and when he jumped in the car it was nigel mansel that had stopped.
Uncle Nigel? Yeah, he's always giving people lifts ;):biggrin:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Fnaar said:
Uncle Nigel? Yeah, he's always giving people lifts :sad::smile:

You know him too? besides he doesnt live in monaco, has a house in Jersey and Florida and somewhere else but not monaco. :biggrin:

Top Bottom