Bird news for laurence et al...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
laurence said:
Crackle - they had another oystercatcher at wetlands today, but very early on and only for a few minutes. i did try and introduce the notion that the collective noun is an Oven whilst chatting with one of the team there. they didn't know the correct collective noun either, so i insisted it was oven. they didn't seem convinced, but i'm persevering with it.

Good man. It might take a bit but we'll get there.

gbb

Legendary Member
Crackle said:
They're very good gbb, lots of detail, particulalry the curlew.

Why thankyou ;)

It's very difficult...wind buffetting you, and despite only being about 15 to 20 yards away, with a 200mm lens at full stretch...you cant fill the frame, hence having to crop the picture. I'm a bit ameteurish at the mo...still learning.
There was a guy with a 500mm lens (i guess)no tripod ...i wouldnt think he stood a chance of getting a good shot. Its even harder, any shake is amplified even more with the larger lens. Still, the same applies for him...take plenty of shots...one or two of them should come out.

gbb said:
Why thankyou ;)

It's very difficult...wind buffetting you, and despite only being about 15 to 20 yards away, with a 200mm lens at full stretch...you cant fill the frame, hence having to crop the picture. I'm a bit ameteurish at the mo...still learning.

You did well to get that close, that's where I struggle as I've a 210mm lens as well and it never seems to be powerful enough for the opportunities which present.

gbb, it depends on the amount of light. it's like the standing shoot in biathlon, you have a high shutter speed and you try and get the shot off when the subject comes into the frame! crouching down helps... or hiding on the leeward side of a rock! those big 500s take in a lot of light. i have a 500, but it's a fixed aperture, so i need sun when using it to get the shutter speed.

good to get such lovely birds, well done.

gbb

Legendary Member
Crackle said:
You did well to get that close, that's where I struggle as I've a 210mm lens as well and it never seems to be powerful enough for the opportunities which present.

Ironically, i didnt even have to try...
Wells has a long (maybe 1 mile) raised walkway / road running from the harbour to the sea. Sandbanks are exposed along its length, and if the tides right, it exposes the waters edge 20 yards from you. Thats always where the waders will be. They seem oblivious of the hundreds of people that walk along through the day. Perfect scenario.
I should really have tried to get a little closer...just to see what distance will actually make them fly off. The opportunities were plenty...i could have pushed myself a bit. Didnt think.

gbb

Legendary Member
laurence said:
gbb, it depends on the amount of light. it's like the standing shoot in biathlon, you have a high shutter speed and you try and get the shot off when the subject comes into the frame! crouching down helps... or hiding on the leeward side of a rock! those big 500s take in a lot of light. i have a 500, but it's a fixed aperture, so i need sun when using it to get the shutter speed.

good to get such lovely birds, well done.

True, the more light the better, allowing faster shutter speed, therefor less potential for blurr...
I actually sat down on the sloped edge of the wall to take shots, leeward of the wind...but it was still hard to actually stay still.

I am still getting to grips with the camera, hav'nt used it much yet...i feel very amateurish at the mo. Still..onwards...

if you get this close...

2404161164_8cd66b7ca1.jpg

you might need waterproof boots

Abitrary

laurence said:
if you get this close...

2404161164_8cd66b7ca1.jpg

you might need waterproof boots

I don't even like birdwatching of the feathered type, but this gave me an unwarranted frisson. It reminded me of an old girlfriend with skinny ankles yet big feet.

Oh god, how I miss those feet...

gbb said:
True, the more light the better, allowing faster shutter speed, therefor less potential for blurr...
I actually sat down on the sloped edge of the wall to take shots, leeward of the wind...but it was still hard to actually stay still.

I am still getting to grips with the camera, hav'nt used it much yet...i feel very amateurish at the mo. Still..onwards...

best way to learn... get out there! then show us your results, i found flickr was good as i could see what others were doing and the type of shots, etc. i just take loads of shots and hope some turn out ok.

the trouble with trying to shoot birds/animals is that there's no time to set up and get ready. you could always try just heading to a park, etc and snapping away, that's what i did. it gave me a chance to move about and play with the light more which, in turn, taught me how the camera interpreted that.

i also just worked out that it's best to take pictures for yourself and it's a bonus if others like them.

gbb

Legendary Member
For anyone who's interested...also saw today..

Plenty of Brent Geese.
Loadsa Oystercathers..
A few Turnstones..
A Sand Martin (i assume, being lighter in colour and very early)

I drove from Sheringham (B&B'd it there last night after a very sad and emotional couple of weeks..just to get away from it all and relax), and stopped at various places all along the coastline till Stiffkey.

Trouble was we were'nt dressed appropriately...restricted us a little ;).
Must have looked odd. Everyone in walking boots and outdoor wear...wife and myself in 'smartish' cothes and best shoes :biggrin:

Bloody cream crackered now...

gbb said:
For anyone who's interested...also saw today..

Plenty of Brent Geese.
Loadsa Oystercathers..
A few Turnstones..
A Sand Martin (i assume, being lighter in colour and very early)

I drove from Sheringham (B&B'd it there last night after a very sad and emotional couple of weeks..just to get away from it all and relax), and stopped at various places all along the coastline till Stiffkey.

Trouble was we were'nt dressed appropriately...restricted us a little ;).
Must have looked odd. Everyone in walking boots and outdoor wear...wife and myself in 'smartish' cothes and best shoes :biggrin:

Bloody cream crackered now...

that's an oven of oystercatchers!

sand martins don't have a white bit on their back, house martins do. not terribly helpful when they're overhead!

i went to wetlands after an interview the other day. i remembered i had my best (better) clothes on after i'd been kneeling down to take photos.

for ages i couldn't work out why i kept singing an ELO song after going to wetlands. then i realised they had turnstones on their ID charts and it triggered Turn To Stone in my brain.

that sea air takes it out of you. nice how nature can soothe you, isn't it

Top Bottom