Bird news for laurence et al...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
or out being shot?

Maz

Guru
laurence said:
they are known as yaffles in certain parts of the country. i like that name, much better than green woodpecker.
As in professor yaffle (the carved wooden bookend in the shape of a woodpecker) in Bagpuss?
it makes sense now...

rich p said:
a red legged partridge. I haven't seen a traditional grey partridge for years.
Very sweet. Although not as fine as my pheasant. He currently has huge red wattles and ear tufts. I assume they are the pheasant equivalent of pulling pants.

Pheasant-1.jpg

longers

Legendary Member
You're not shy about showing your cock off are you? ;)

Kirstie's Partridge was grand ;).

The pair of grebes near me have survived the rising reservoir levels but have not enjoyed their territory being turned into a fly fishing arena. They've moved on and I have spotted a lone one on another reservoir but having seen him/her three times now on their own I guess that's the end of a beautiful relationship ;).

Nowt wrong with my cock...;)

There have been a whole bunch of twitchers on the marshes for the last few days. Turns out there is a Little Crake on the marsh.
Imagine! ;)

longers said:
The pair of grebes near me have survived the rising reservoir levels but have not enjoyed their territory being turned into a fly fishing arena. They've moved on and I have spotted a lone one on another reservoir but having seen him/her three times now on their own I guess that's the end of a beautiful relationship ;).

ahhhh, you could be very wrong! what you need to do is watch the lone one as it fishes. then, when it's eaten, it will head off... you stalk it. chances are you'll find the mate on the nest. they take it in turns to incubate and guard the eggs. they do like to dive to try and conceal where they're heading though, so it might take a few days to get the general direction, then look near the water's edge, under a tree or in reeds could be a good spot. their nests 'float' although they are prone to storm damage.

happy grebe stalking

gbb

Legendary Member
Heres a few snapshots from todays venture into North Norfolk..cropped, so excuse the white borders.

Redshank....

redhank.jpg

and Curlew....

cut.jpg

There was plenty to see at Wells Next to the Sea...tide out, but very windy. It made it difficult...nay, near impossible, to keep still while taking shots ;)

longers

Legendary Member
laurence said:
ahhhh, you could be very wrong! what you need to do is watch the lone one as it fishes. then, when it's eaten, it will head off... you stalk it. chances are you'll find the mate on the nest. they take it in turns to incubate and guard the eggs. they do like to dive to try and conceal where they're heading though, so it might take a few days to get the general direction, then look near the water's edge, under a tree or in reeds could be a good spot. their nests 'float' although they are prone to storm damage.

happy grebe stalking

Cheers for that laurence, I've cancelled my ride for tomorrow (get up and go has got up and gone ;)) so I'll go and have a look. Are they likely to hunt on one reservoir and nest on another? The reservoirs are about 3 miles apart.

longers said:
Cheers for that laurence, I've cancelled my ride for tomorrow (get up and go has got up and gone ;)) so I'll go and have a look. Are they likely to hunt on one reservoir and nest on another? The reservoirs are about 3 miles apart.

who knows with grebes!

i'd have thought not, but it could be that one is going off to hunt. once the grebelets are born they'd want to fish near the nest - the parents carry the young on their back, so flying is out of the question.

last year i saw a grebe in the fountain in Bushy Park. i assume it was just having a trip to the out of town supermarket as it fancied a change of scenery.

nice curlew, gbb.

Crackle - they had another oystercatcher at wetlands today, but very early on and only for a few minutes. i did try and introduce the notion that the collective noun is an Oven whilst chatting with one of the team there. they didn't know the correct collective noun either, so i insisted it was oven. they didn't seem convinced, but i'm persevering with it.

Top Bottom