"Birds on bikes" ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BrianEvesham

BrianEvesham

Mask is gone!
I didn't get a reply but think they reacted very quickly.
It seems that the 40 miler is open to all beginners now (might be wrong though).

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I didn't get a reply but think they reacted very quickly.
It seems that the 40 miler is open to all beginners now (might be wrong though).
Apparently so. At first they simply removed the title and the 40 miler page details still referred specifically to women. It's now been reworked to remove the gender references. Which is strange because I didn't think people were objecting to women only rides, simply the title.

robgul

Legendary Member
Being local to this ride we were rather surprised at the name when we saw the promo e-mails ......

Rob
... volunteer organiser of the MacRide Events :
Shakespeare SPRING 100 on 6 April 2014
MacRide Tour on 3-4 May 2014
Dynamic 100 on 13 July 2014
Shakespeare AUTUMN 100 on 14 September 2014
MacRide (this year is the 10th!) on Sunday 14 September 2014

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Apparently so. At first they simply removed the title and the 40 miler page details still referred specifically to women. It's now been reworked to remove the gender references. Which is strange because I didn't think people were objecting to women only rides, simply the title.

I emailed them again. They still want it to be women only, but they are trying to think up a non-offensive name for it that makes this clear - and have just removed all gender references in the meantime.
They'd probably welcome (sensible!) suggestions - if I think of anything, I'll put it on their facebook page.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Safety-approved cycling helmets are compulsory. We recommend cycle helmets complying with ANSI Z90/4 or SNELL standards. Any rider not wearing a helmet whilst participating in the event will be excluded.

My Dutch friends would not be impressed and neither am I. See the Chris Boardman thread.
It's probably something to do with their insurance, not them personally.
And as a moderator - please don't derail this thread into a helmet discussion. There's a separate forum for that...

ScotiaLass

Guru
I just had an email from them, apologising, and saying they have changed the name now.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I emailed them again. They still want it to be women only, but they are trying to think up a non-offensive name for it that makes this clear - and have just removed all gender references in the meantime.
They'd probably welcome (sensible!) suggestions - if I think of anything, I'll put it on their facebook page.
Ah, ok. But...if they still want to keep this as a women only ride, they should put something to that effect up on their site. Just in case any men or mixed groups put their names down in the interim.

[QUOTE 2937197, member: 9609"]I see, the clue was in the title - I don't see it as a derogatory term, sounds a bit outdated (70s 80s), a bit naff, may be a down-south sort of term, could imagine people in Eastenders using it.

hmmm, men are generally stronger than women, hence most sports being split. It is the only advantage men have over women but they are generally bigger and stronger, men seem much more predisposed to developing muscle than women, I'm guessing pound for pound female muscle tissue is capable of the same strength as male muscle, but not sure, is there biological differences between the two muscle tissue?[/quote]

Sorry, I can't discuss that here :whistle:.

Top Bottom