"Birds on bikes" ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
When I first saw this I thought it was a misprint ..... Bards on bikes would have been funny!
You have to quote some poetry before they feed you at the feed stations! :laugh:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
If women are equal and many on here have said so, quite rightly, why o why do they need a women's only ride? Surely this is sexist and discriminatory against me because I have a penis.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
This is still on there.

NEW for 2014 is our 40 Mile Birds on Bikes route. This will offer a flatter, shorter route giving women who are fairly new to cycling the confidence to take part in an organised event. Training sessions will be held before the ride giving participants the chance to train in a group as well as expert knowledge on their bikes and cycling gear.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
If women are equal and many on here have said so, quite rightly, why o why do they need a women's only ride? Surely this is sexist and discriminatory against me because I have a penis.
You could try getting over yourself a bit. Apparently @Adrian has useful experience of this...

AndyRM

XOXO
Seems to be changed now.

I'd be loathe to condone the original name, but as a (male) designer working for a company with a male dominated hierarchy, I can understand where the Birds on Bikes name came from, why it was accepted, and why nobody challenged it.

I can understand why this was considered a neat name, bit of a joke etc. and I hope it doesn't put anyone off entering the event because of the daft laddish humour of some mis-guided marketeers, male or female.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Seems to be changed now.

I'd be loathe to condone the original name, but as a (male) designer working for a company with a male dominated hierarchy, I can understand where the Birds on Bikes name came from, why it was accepted, and why nobody challenged it.

I can understand why this was considered a neat name, bit of a joke etc. and I hope it doesn't put anyone off entering the event because of the daft laddish humour of some mis-guided marketeers, male or female.

Hmm, to a degree, I guess but it wasn't just the name... Why are all beginner cyclists female? This is the assumption that was made - if there are going to be three routes setting off at the same time it isn't strictly a female only event, so why exclude men who want to do a shorter route and why assume that women, exclusivley, are inexperienced and incapable.

The phrase "birds on a bike" is off putting because it shows that we are, in the mind of whoever write this, some sort of spectacle, that we aren't (more importantly, given the context,) cyclists.

"Bird" has been used to undermine women for a long old time so that's why we're not fond of it. To be honest "lad culture" should have died long ago and has no place in the adult world.

AndyRM

XOXO
Hmm, to a degree, I guess but it wasn't just the name... Why are all beginner cyclists female? This is the assumption that was made - if there are going to be three routes setting off at the same time it isn't strictly a female only event, so why exclude men who want to do a shorter route and why assume that women, exclusivley, are inexperienced and incapable.

The phrase "birds on a bike" is off putting because it shows that we are, in the mind of whoever write this, some sort of spectacle, that we aren't (more importantly, given the context,) cyclists.

"Bird" has been used to undermine women for a long old time so that's why we're not fond of it. To be honest "lad culture" should have died long ago and has no place in the adult world.

You've expressed where I was coming from far more succinctly than I managed, my thoughts were informed by my working experience which I suppose isn't much use in this context.

Top Bottom