Birmingham cyclists banned from tram route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Probably nothing to do with keeping cyclists out of the way of the trams (presumably pedestrians are allowed?) but an attempt to stop silly bike riders from getting their silly thin wheels stuck in the tracks and hurting themselves.......

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
[QUOTE 4577842, member: 45"]Yeah, amazing how cyclists are so stupid that they can't cope with 4 narrow steel strips on an otherwise empty, wide road.[/QUOTE]
You'd be surprised (or maybe not), and in today's world of compo for anything it is necessary to at least try to protect the hopeless from them selves.
EDIT: I am a rebel and simply ignore such signage :ninja:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Because town planners don't ride bikes, obvs.

There has been a cycle lane installed on the town by-pass where I live and it still makes my blood boil that MY tax £££££s have been wasted on infrastructure that is so blatantly unsuitable and downright dangerous. I can easily list a dozen faults that mean I won't use it and neither should anyone else. I keep thinking I should write a strongly worded letter to my local rag about it!

Reactions: mjr

KneesUp

Guru
Tram tracks are a pain - they key thing is that they can be hard to cross, which you need to do sometimes. It's not about the apocryphal person who makes a living out of deliberately injuring themselves to get compensation. There have been over 200 reported accidents in Sheffield due to the tram tracks

What’s the problem?
Tram tracks pose the biggest danger to cyclists in Sheffield and they deter people from making journeys by bike. We’ve now received over 200 reports of cycle crashes on the tram tracks and the key pattern emerging is that they appear to happen to anyone regardless of cycling ability and experience and do not appear to be caused by cyclist behaviour.

The presence of tracks on the road also constrains a rider’s movement and makes it harder to move to the centre of the carriageway e.g to pass obstacles such as parked cars.

People should not be expected to cycle on roads with this hazard. Alternatives must be provided if more people are to have the freedom to choose to cycle in Sheffield.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Tram tracks are a pain - they key thing is that they can be hard to cross, which you need to do sometimes. .........
People should not be expected to cycle on roads with this hazard. Alternatives must be provided if more people are to have the freedom to choose to cycle in Sheffield.
Or they should learn to bunny hop :whistle:

EDIT: We have trams in Ashton, I think they are great fun.....

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
[QUOTE 4578216, member: 45"]In Birmingham the existing tram route goes into Snow Hill Station and then uses a railway line most of the way into Wolverhampton.[/QUOTE]
He wasn't being serious M.P, just being a facetious old fart as usual.....

subaqua

What’s the point
Why not have ones that can have wheels for rails or wheels for roads. Track maintainance vehicles manage it easily enough ...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why not have ones that can have wheels for rails or wheels for roads. Track maintainance vehicles manage it easily enough ...
Or fill the slots with rubber where there's a bike route with something like the German Velostrail panels. There's still a bit of a skid hazard from the metal, but no risk of getting a wheel stuck in the slots.

Plenty of possible solutions but it's cheaper to injure cyclists.

Downward

Guru
I'm commuting into brum every day now.

It's such a mess, some areas shared cycle/ped paths which pedestrians ignore, 1 way roads and some no go areas for cyclists, then some areas where cyclists have to walk on the paths.

Top Bottom