Birmingham to Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any route out of Birmingham has to be good surely? (sorry. couldn't resist).

;-)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Assuming you mean the centre of Birmingham, not the western side, surely the A515 north of Lichfield offers a decent smooth ride?

And I think it now behoves middleagecyclist to tell us of a decent route in to Manchester (from the south or southeast)

And I think it now behoves middleagecyclist to tell us of a decent route in to Manchester (from the south or southeast)

I'll give it a go. As you are in the Touring Forum i'm assuming you are happy with mixed surface? If so, then joining National Cycle Route 68 (Derby to Berwick) somewhere around Ashbourne, following the Tissington Trail up towards Buxton and then on roads to Hyde will bring you to south east Manchester and will also take you through some lovely countryside. That would dovetail nicely with the A515 from Lichfield as well.

If you just want the fastest tarmac route then I'm afraid I can't help.

And anyway, Manchester is a vibrant, cosmoplitan city surrounded by beautiful countryside. The only trouble with it is it's full of Mancunians!

Yorkshire born and proud of it.

400bhp

Guru
Where in Manchester are you heading?

Why not plot a few routes on bikeroutetoaster and we can comment. :smile:

hotfuzzrj

Veteran
Hi MisterPaul,

Did you do it in the end? How long did it take you and would you recommend the route you took again?

Many thanks

Rose

Top Bottom