Birmingham Velo - OFF/ ON - mixed messages today

Discussion in 'Sportives' started by kingrollo, 31 Jan 2018.

Tags:
  1. OP
    OP
    kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

I know Nottingham are keen - but the word from one of the major charities is that Autumn 2018 is South East England.

2. OP
    OP
    kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

Have you done wales as well as Birmingham ? - I don't consider myself a great cyclist, but actually found the Birmingham Velo pretty easy - just wonder how much more intense velo wales is ?

3. I've done Velo Wales but not Brum.
    How intense is VW? As intense as you want it to be. In my case not very. I just rode round.
    There's one big long hill (the tumble) that I rode up very slowly with my friend. One big-ish steep hill (Caerphilly) that I rode up intensely (by my standards) and waited at the top.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

Velo South confirmed 23/09/2018
    Velo South 23/09/2018 confirmed

5. DaveyM

DaveyM Über Member

I thought someone had it from an insider that it was Nottingham, it's a bit far for us Northerners.

6. PaulSB

PaulSB Guru

Yes, I thought exactly the same for both points. Rightly or wrongly I see Ride London as a prestigious, iconic event. The weekend must cost me £300+ but that’s what it is, a good weekend away with friends.

I wouldn’t though conceive of spending that on a bike ride in East Sussex. Birmingham and Nottingham are within striking distance and accommodation if needed would be a reasonable cost. The cost of travelling to and staying in the south is so high an event, cycling or otherwise, has to be very, very special to persuade me to travel.

Perhaps this is why Birmingham was very popular?

Of course what is special to me won’t be to others and vice versa

7. OP
    OP
    kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

What I have heard is that CSM walked away from Birmingham velo 2018 - The requests for road closures weren't blocked (not sure they were approved though) - I would suggest that:-

1.The longer consultation period - would have proved a massive overhead to CSM, making the event not viable.
    2.The longer consultation period was in reality a blocking exercise to bog the even down in red tape (it wasn't consultation people wanted it was the event stopped)
    3.Maybe Velo south looked an easier win, more lucrative for CSM

Be interested to see what happens - pretty sure VS will be a sellout and a success - will that make Birmingham more likley to push on with the spring 2019 velo ? - or will CSM just drop Birmingham and raise revenue for future VS

I would rate the chances of Velo birmingham 2019 going ahead as less than 50/50 myself.

mjr and Dogtrousers like this.
  8. Downward

Downward Über Member

Yeah Worcestershire CC came under fire from residents so don’t want that crap again
    CSM probably think why battle when we can get the same numbers in another area.

9. OP
    OP
    kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

Not a whimper of Velo Birmingham spring 2019 - think this is a goner ....unless anyone has heard different ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice