Birmingham Velo - OFF/ ON - mixed messages today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyM

Über Member
Velo South confirmed 23/09/2018

Velo South 23/09/2018 confirmed

I thought someone had it from an insider that it was Nottingham, it's a bit far for us Northerners.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I thought someone had it from an insider that it was Nottingham, it's a bit far for us Northerners.

Yes, I thought exactly the same for both points. Rightly or wrongly I see Ride London as a prestigious, iconic event. The weekend must cost me £300+ but that’s what it is, a good weekend away with friends.

I wouldn’t though conceive of spending that on a bike ride in East Sussex. Birmingham and Nottingham are within striking distance and accommodation if needed would be a reasonable cost. The cost of travelling to and staying in the south is so high an event, cycling or otherwise, has to be very, very special to persuade me to travel.

Perhaps this is why Birmingham was very popular?

Of course what is special to me won’t be to others and vice versa

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
What I have heard is that CSM walked away from Birmingham velo 2018 - The requests for road closures weren't blocked (not sure they were approved though) - I would suggest that:-

1.The longer consultation period - would have proved a massive overhead to CSM, making the event not viable.
2.The longer consultation period was in reality a blocking exercise to bog the even down in red tape (it wasn't consultation people wanted it was the event stopped)
3.Maybe Velo south looked an easier win, more lucrative for CSM

Be interested to see what happens - pretty sure VS will be a sellout and a success - will that make Birmingham more likley to push on with the spring 2019 velo ? - or will CSM just drop Birmingham and raise revenue for future VS

I would rate the chances of Velo birmingham 2019 going ahead as less than 50/50 myself.

Downward

Guru
Yeah Worcestershire CC came under fire from residents so don’t want that crap again
CSM probably think why battle when we can get the same numbers in another area.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Not a whimper of Velo Birmingham spring 2019 - think this is a goner ....unless anyone has heard different ?

tom73

Guru
Had a stand at the cycle show at the weekend and as @Milkfloat point's out entries are now open. Been getting email's for last few day's about it.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Well, it's on for this year, and the route has been revealed.
Main site
Route

Bad things:
1) It's on Father's Day. Usually my son and I do something together that we both enjoy doing. For a couple of years it was going on a bike ride. Last year was climbing a hill (walking), and we chose the Worcestershire Beacon in the Malverns. Might make finding somewhere suitable that we can get to a bit more difficult.
2) I'm familiar with much of the route, but misses out the interesting bits.
3) No decent hills.

Good things:
4) It isn't for me, but a lot of people enjoy it and it gets people out on bikes.
5) A chance to ride through Aston, Castle Vale and Rubery without getting your bike nicked.

The bit over the cobbles in Coventry doesn’t strike me as a terribly bright idea, in a Sportive / chop fest, even if it stays dry. I’m less interested than I already was, now the route has been finalised.

Top Bottom