Bit of advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ultimately I want to become a full ime historian, but not having a degree has held me back in the past, even though I often have a lot of experince for the advertised jobs.

So, I'm thinking of getting on the bottom rung of the ladder and there's a part time job advertized for an education officer at a stately home.

The thing is, I have never filled in a job application form in my life!

So, a few questions,

Education - I'm 45 and left school with no qualifiications due to my mum dying just before exam time. What would you put in that bit?

I then did a city and guilds in capentry and joinery - but this has no relevence to the job - would you put it down anyway?

Where it asks about relevant qualifications for the job/ higher education, do I just say none but here's my practical expereince?

And, I've been self employed for the last 18 years what do I put where they ask for previous employers details?

Ta for the help.

PS, I'm NOT giving up working in cycling for a good while yet!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bearing in mind my inability to get a job yet, you might want to ignore my advice, but:

Hilldodger said:
Ultimately I want to become a full ime historian, but not having a degree has held me back in the past, even though I often have a lot of experince for the advertised jobs.

So, I'm thinking of getting on the bottom rung of the ladder and there's a part time job advertized for an education officer at a stately home.

The thing is, I have never filled in a job application form in my life!

So, a few questions,

Education - I'm 45 and left school with no qualifiications due to my mum dying just before exam time. What would you put in that bit?

It's so long ago (no offence meant!) and you've done so much since, it shouldn't matter, well, it wouldn't to me, but I'm not in HR... Anyway, I would imagine you could just say that family circumstances affected your schooling. Perhaps say what you were studying, indicate if you expected to do ok..?

I then did a city and guilds in capentry and joinery - but this has no relevence to the job - would you put it down anyway?

I would, proves your ability to learn a skill, and the ability to learn is always relevant.

Where it asks about relevant qualifications for the job/ higher education, do I just say none but here's my practical expereince?

Seems like all you can do. You experience, IMO, should be highly relevant. If they can't see past that, they aren't very imaginative employers, and might be difficult to work for anyway!

And, I've been self employed for the last 18 years what do I put where they ask for previous employers details?

Well, you could just put whoever your last employer was, but also any people you've worked for under contract perhaps? Local authorities etc? For an education officer job, play up the schools side of it, etc...

It must happen more and more these days that people have less orthodox employment histories - a good recruiter should understand that... In the end, if they can't see past the degree thing, they are losing out on potentially good people.

Good luck!

BTW, have you considered the OU as a way to get that degree?

Odyssey

Hilldodger said:

Technically, anything above a G is a pass. You could always lie too, they're really not going to check. However you have good reason for not holding those qualifications.

Jot it down anyway. Even if it's not relevent, different experiences can show an employer that you're capable. You'll find general skills are needed across a spectrum of jobs and it can be more relevent than you think.

If it's specifically asking for qualifications, just leave it blank. You'll probably have space elsewhere on the application to talk about other stuff that you think's relevent.

Write down your own business details. Working self employed for 18 years is quite an achievement and it would be worth making something of that. I'm sure there's plenty of opportunities there to tell them how well you've handled certain situations and so forth. Just be as positive as you can on the application. Employers aren;t always looking for experience, you generally pick that up on the jobs as every job is different but they do want to see that you're eager and competent.

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
I spoke with Leicester Uni and a couple of friends who are museum curators and they all said I'd be wasting my time for a bit of paper and that I had higher than degree levels of experience anyway.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Before you send off a CV, could you contact them to explain your situation and suggest you'd like an informal meeting/chat to discuss your interests and suitability for the job?

Tetedelacourse

Good advice from Alan. tbh I think going down the degree route is wrong as most jobs these days ask for a degree or equivalent (as your curator pals point out).

I wouldn't lie on the application form! BAD advice! After speaking with the job contact (NOT HR!!) you'll probably be instructed to score through and direct them to your statement in support of application, which will describe your wealth of experience. You could put down your carpentry qual. here if you have space but in my humble opinion there will surely be more relevant information about yourself that they should consider, and you don't want pages of narrative.

Finally are you sure it's a wise career move? I can't see any future in it ho ho ho.

Good luck.

Maz

Guru
Alan H said:
Before you send off a CV, could you contact them to explain your situation and suggest you'd like an informal meeting/chat to discuss your interests and suitability for the job?
I think this is a good idea...it would show your keenness in the job and would also help immensely with your written application. Go for it and good luck to you, sir.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
I spoke with Leicester Uni and a couple of friends who are museum curators and they all said I'd be wasting my time for a bit of paper and that I had higher than degree levels of experience anyway.

oh yes, I wouldn't want to suggest you'd have much to learn... it's just a shame if the lack of that bit of paper is something employers can't see through...

Tetedelacourse

A question - you say not having a degree has held you back. At what stage? Application, or interview? If it's at interview then it might be your interview skills that you should look at.

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
I didn't get a job after two interviews because I didn't have a degree but was told that, experince wise, I was by far the most qualified and had the best recommendations from people with in both the cycling and museums world.

I was told that is was the policy, yet they wasted time inteviewing me twice!

Tetedelacourse

Hilldodger said:
I didn't get a job after two interviews because I didn't have a degree but was told that, experince wise, I was by far the most qualified and had the best recommendations from people with in both the cycling and museums world.

I was told that is was the policy, yet they wasted time inteviewing me twice!

Sounds to me like they bottled it from giving you the real reason (usually nepotism in my experience!;)) as generally any recruitment campaign done properly will use quals & experience to weed out who to interview and not any further - but of course in practice it doesn't always hold true as ye say.

So if you're getting to interviews I'd say its not your lack of academic qualifications that are the hurdle.

It's not really the done thing, BUT why don't you make the degree bit up? Obviously you have the knowledge, experience and interest, and, after all, if you don't look after yourself, no one else will!
And it's not as though you're going to be a pretend surgeon or a gynecologist.

Tetedelacourse

If that were me, it'd be a surefire way to never be at ease for fear of being sprung.

Roger, OK not technically nepotism but amounts to the same thing. It's rife in my place of work too. I'm at a loss as to how to get past it. If the cap fits... and if it doesn't, they just get a new bloody cap to fit it!!!

domtyler

Über Member
Instead of making it up why not just enrol on the OU course and then at least you will be able to supplement your vast experience with the fact that you are doing something to remedy your lack of a degree.

Top Bottom