Bit of advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Tetedelacourse said:
If that were me, it'd be a surefire way to never be at ease for fear of being sprung.

Roger, OK not technically nepotism but amounts to the same thing. It's rife in my place of work too. I'm at a loss as to how to get past it. If the cap fits... and if it doesn't, they just get a new bloody cap to fit it!!!

You're not getting ideas above your station are you? :ohmy:

Odyssey

Hilldodger said:
I didn't get a job after two interviews because I didn't have a degree but was told that, experince wise, I was by far the most qualified and had the best recommendations from people with in both the cycling and museums world.

Many large organisations and corporations do have company policy and you need to show your worth before they'll even give you an interview. I know someone whose application was turned down purely on their A levels regardless of the fact that he was expecting good results in his Degree.

You'll generally find though that many places will value experience and competency more than any qualification.

byegad

Legendary Member
Main thing is tell them why you want the job, history is a passion of yours etc. If they're worth working for they'll call you in for an interview.

I was mid 40's when I changed career, Roger. 3 interviews, a month's radio silence... and then a phone call out of the blue to say I'd got the job. I'd almost given up.

Don't let anything hold you back in applying for the job you want - go for it. The lack of a degree is IMO easily surpassed by the work you've done which shows that you stand out from the crowd. If they can't see that, that's their loss.

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
Had a chat with Leicester Uni today and they think with the work I've already done and my level of experience I should skip a degree and do an MA instead:thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
Had a chat with Leicester Uni today and they think with the work I've already done and my level of experience I should skip a degree and do an MA instead:thumbsup:

Sensible! I half wondered about that, but not clearly enough to suggest it.

I'm giving my Mum a year between finishing her degree and when she starts wanting to do an MA, although she denies she'll ever want to just now... But at 72, it's not a career thing...:biggrin:

Top Bottom