Bit of camping advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, first post in this bit of the forum.
Had a plan to take son out with his telescope for a bit of star gazing, thought some sort of fishing shelter or popup tent would do the job for a few hours. However this now seems to have developed (and I'm not sure how, but quite like the idea) into a couple of nights camping.
Having got a bit carried away on ebay I'm now waiting for an Aztec esquina 3 tent to be delivered. Much more than I was planning on spending but I'd hope it would be easier to sell on if it came to it, rather than buying very cheap and it going in a landfill. Light too so some cycle camping is possible in the future (car first time due to telescope carrying).
So what else will we need as essentials for a couple of nights?
Sleeping bags (what sort of thickness / weight)
Sleeping mats. What are the self inlating things like to sleep on and own?
Cooking. Single burner enough for 2 of us? what fuel?
Anything else?
Cycle camping has an appeal, in a sort of cycle to a site, stay, cycle back more than touring so I'm guessing weight is something to consider.
Sorry for the long post and thanks for any tips

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
BTW my camping experience was some 20+ years ago in France and also a weekend with a few college mates in a canvas (think traditional scout tent), canvas groundsheet, pitched in what turned out to be a stream when the thunderstorm hit, bit like Glastonbury but with more mud.

Ariadne

Sleeping bags - in this country, I'd say get 3 season, even if you think you'll only use it in 'summer': better to leave it a bit open because you're too hot than shiver all night. Thermarest self inflating mats are brilliant - I wouldn't go anywhere without mine. i think there are some cheaper copies aout now, which are probably good, too. And yes, one burner will be fine for the two of you - just take a biggish pot and you'll be fine. There's no point getting anything bigger till you're sure what you'll do in future: if you do get into cycle camping then you'll want everything as small and light as possible. Fuel - i think most standard, simple stoves run on the screw-on butane/propane canisters from the likes of Coleman, and they're good and simple to use. Hard to find abroad, mind you, but in the UK they're cool. Or there's the Camping Gaz stoves that pierce the canister (if you go to an outdoor shop this will all be clear!) but you have to leave the stove attached until the gas runs out. (Or, you can get one of these: http://www.rekri8.co.uk/Go System/travelpak/travelpak.html which converts the cheap pierceable canisters and is the bee's knees) Other than that - a torch, a lighter, some cups and plates and forks. And pillows, if you want them, though you can just put clothes in the thermarest bags.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Sleeping bags :- if you buy cheap ones they are going to be very bulky for cycling, the light ones are feather/down, but cost an arm and a leg
Sleeping mats:- the inflatable ones thermorest (sp) are very good, but cost a lot £40+
Cooking:- I would just go for small camping gaz one
It all depends is this a one off or is this going to be long term, if it’s a one off go cheap and cheerful if not the skys the limit

I am not too keen on Gas stoves; they always seem to run out of gas when you need them most.

I' have a preference for a Trianga spirit stove for up 3 days. For over 3 days I use a Coleman petrol stove, and a would not spend a day or night out in the countryside without my Kelly Kettle. http://www.kellykettle.com/

willem

Über Member
This sounds like a wonderful idea. I recently went cycle camping for a week in the Ardennes with my 11 year old son and we both treasure the memories. As for gear, weight is indeed important, and so is quality. As for cooking I took a Trangia 25 UL (for ultralight) meth stove, and I was very pleased. You can cook real meals, and it is convenient, relatively light and compact. It will work in a raging storm, unlike much of the competition. It is also safer than the gas or multifuel alternatives. Get the model with the non stick frying pan, and don't bother with the kettle. And get the Trangia meth safety bottle. And for two the model 25 is just perfect (the 27 really is too small).
You also need mattresses, both for comfort and for insulation. For years the self inflating mattresses were the cutting edge, but these have now been superceded in my view by advanced air matresses like the down filled Exped downmat 7 Pump (get the new model with inbuilt pump). Regular size is big enough. These are much warmer, more compact and far more comfortable than self inflatables. However, they are not cheap. An even lighter summer variant is the new Thermarest Neoair, but that is strictly for the summer. The cheapest solution would be closed cell foam at something like a fiver a mattress, but that is not at all comfortable (at least not for you....).
To save money on sleeping bags you can easily use an ordinary duvet or blanket from home if you take the car and as long as you go in the summer. I would not bother with cheap bags. Quality down bags are so much warmer, lighter and more compact. They also last at least twice as long.
Once you decide to go cycling in future, consider the new Ortlieb City panniers. They are much cheaper and much lighter than their other models, and equally indestructable and equally waterproof.
Enjoy,
Willem

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
willem said:
This sounds like a wonderful idea. I recently went cycle camping for a week in the Ardennes with my 11 year old son and we both treasure the memories
:tongue: Its the type of time together we all need with our kids. Life is far too busy and its to easy to forget what really is important, each other.

Thanks for the help everyone. Really looking forward it now, and just as importantly so is my son.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hope your stargazing/camping goes well.Unless your going to camp a lot I wouldnt bother with self inflating air matress . The foam rolls you get for about a fiver keep you insulated from the ground and are light to carry.

Very much agree with those who said dont buy cheap summer grade sleeping bags. 9 out of 10 summer nights they wont be warm enough.

sullyIsland.jpg

My pair did a scout award that involved camping at least one night /month each month of the year.I think this was January last year on a small Island only reachable on foot at Low Tide. Things Dads have to do.. :-)

willem

Über Member
Enjoy, father and son is a nice one. And prepare yourself for the next round: cycle camping. It really is a wonderful thing to do.
Willem

willem

Über Member
Oh wow, camping in the colder season. That is another favourite, but more of a technical challenge. As for mattresses, I survived on foam rolls until I was about fourty. Then we got some 3.8 cm Thermarests for the old bones, that were more comfortable, but not by as much as I had hoped. So a few years later I got 5 cm thermarests and gave the 3.8 ones to the kids (spoiled them). They (the 5 cm ones) were the thickest you could get in size regular. They were again more comfortable, but again not that much, and not quite warm enough in freezing weather. The new down mattresses that I bought this spring are quite a bit better (warmer and more comfortable), and they are also lighter and more compact.
Willem

Some good advice on here.
Me and the missus have just bought some gear to go down to the South of France next month (hoping to catch a few tour stages).

We'll be in the car (hopefully with room for one of my bikes - dismantled)

We bought a tent from Aldi today. Normally this would be a very bad thing, but its not bad for the money (£60). And its certainly roomy - takes up most of rear garden where it is currently being shower tested!

We also got a CampingGaz 2 burner + grill. The gas bottle for it was £60 which I thought was a bit steep, It is refillable I suppose.

Re these self inflating mattresses. The ones you can get for £15-20 rather than the Thermorest ones - how do they self inflate? They had some in Aldi too £12.99 but couldn't work out from the packaging how it worked.

willem

Über Member
Just open the valve, and the foam wil expand, sucking in the air. Then close the valve. If you are patient, this willl often be enough. If it is not, as with the cheaper ones, just blow some extra air into them, though over the years that will not be good for them. Also, in very warm weather, keep the valve open during the day, or the mattress may delaminate. Store with the valve open.
Willem

Crankarm

Guru
Makes me go all duey eyed and think of Homer and Bart. "Why...you...!" :rain:

Have a great time. Don't forget harmonica/guitar, marshmallows, mozzie repellent and some nets should they become too many and hungry.

sheddy

Legendary Member
worth getting a cotton or silk sleeping bag liner for extra warmth. Ear plugs are useful if the neighbours choose to stay up drinking all night

Top Bottom