Bit of plastic behind the cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Helpppppppppp !! I really am in a pickle here, do I keep the " pie plate " on or off ?? ................. Ill leave it up to you guys on CC, first ten yups or nopes wins. I shall perform a sacrificial ripping off of the object at twilight if need be. My rep is at your mercy.

MJN

Helpppppppppp !! I really am in a pickle here, do I keep the " pie plate " on or off ?? ................. Ill leave it up to you guys on CC, first ten yups or nopes wins. I shall perform a sacrificial ripping off of the object at twilight if need be. My rep is at your mercy.

C'mon Tiswas-Steve, don't follow the biggest herd of sheep - decide for yourself!

(if you insist, mine's a 'keep it on'... ;))

Mathew

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You can always set up your rear mech limit screw so that you can only change down to the last but one large cog. Hey presto! This leaves a safety margin without the need for embarrassing plastic discs. :laugh:

Keep it.
There's no benefit in removing it.
It's hardly the equivalent of stabilizers.
There's no embarassment unless you hang out with the cycling equivalent of the post closing
supermarket boy racer crowd.

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Just letting you guys know, on Sunday I let rip with a pair of scissors on the mentioned bit of plastic ........... strange ......... bike looks just that bit more butch now.
thumbsup.png

Willo

My Allez is still sporting its plastic disc....if Schlek's chain can come off, mine might do at some point as I'm attacking nothing other than my own heart going up the wye downs in the granny ring :-)

dodgy

Just an opinion.

If you have to hack off the disk because you lack the tools, I would hazard that you should keep the disk on.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I bet the vast majority of bikes do have them

How about if we limit the survey to bikes that have been ridden more than 40 miles in any given six month period?

I mean, really, it's like wearing elbow pads to go roller skating

Gixxerman

Guru
How about if we limit the survey to bikes that have been ridden more than 40 miles in any given six month period?
My bike still has it fitted.<br>I have had the bike for just over a year and I have done getting on for 3000 miles in that time, including a 100 miler.
So be very careful with your generalisations.

I bought some new wheels and a cassette. My current wheel has a plastic disk behind the cassette. What is it for and do I need it? Do I need to buy one for the new wheels? Stupid question from a newbie I know but any answers appreciated.

I have removed mine, not because I see anything wrong with it being there, mind they can look unsightly after a while. When I am touring, as a quick fix if I break spokes on that side, I carry a few spokes which I have cut the head off, and have put a kink in place of the head, thus is a quick get rid of the broken spoke and slot the new temporary spoke in its place, saving the hassle of having to remove the Cassette, take about the same time as to repair a puncture. If the disk was left in place then it would be hard to replace the spoke. So that my two penny worth, and a tip for those new to touring.

Top Bottom