Bitsa from next door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Just had a chat to the son of the guy next door to us, who sadly passed away a few years ago.

This was lurking in the shed.

Frame is Viking; I'm guessing 1960's vintage going by the badge at the front

I'm also guessing it's Reynolds 531 tubing. It's fair to say that it's not wearing its original paint.

It has some very heavy duty pannier racks by Pletscher of Switzerland.

Brakes are by Weinmann, probably original(?)

The crankset/chainset is Shimano Tourney, 5 speed (well, 10 speed really as it's got a compact 50/34 up front, but the front derailleur is missing). It has a single bar-end shifter, not sure who by. I'm not sure on the rims/hubs either, but they have QR skewers of 70s vintage.

It wears a lovely, patinated Brooks B17, and an absolutely knackered Carradice saddlebag.

It came with another interesting accessory: this lamp, which is powered by paraffin.

Any info as to what I have here would be appreciated. It's a nice old thing and I've half a mind to clean it up and use it, but it's too small for me really and it might be better broken up for bits, as it's a bitsa in any case.

midlife

Guru
Pictures are a bit blurry to see lugs and the like but Vikings of that era were nice. Is that a Carbide lamp?

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Pictures are a bit blurry to see lugs and the like but Vikings of that era were nice. Is that a Carbide lamp?
Here's a couple more pics: seems the QR skewers (and presumably the hubs) are Campagnolo;

Chainset/cranks

As for the lamp; no idea. It has this badge on the top:

Edit: looks like it's by Lucas.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
fm_2016_03_14_10_59_23_39400_images.png
The mileater was more of a touring bike

midlife

Guru
There was a "hosteller" too, just trying to think of their touring models more suited to front and rear racks :smile:

Top Bottom