Bizarrest anti cycling rant yet - where is my rear view mirror?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User269

Just make sure you put her straight on the 'road tax' thing; it doesn't exist. The roads are funded from council tax. Motor vehicles pay 'vehicle excise duty', which doesn't pay for, or entitle the user, to use the public highway any more than pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders, skateboarders etc. etc.

Also point out that on a day to day basis, when motoring, we're more likely to be inconvenienced by other motorists than by cyclists.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Just make sure you put her straight on the 'road tax' thing; it doesn't exist. The roads are funded from council tax. Motor vehicles pay 'vehicle excise duty', which doesn't pay for, or entitle the user, to use the public highway any more than pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders, skateboarders etc. etc.

Also point out that on a day to day basis, when motoring, we're more likely to be inconvenienced by other motorists than by cyclists.
Absolutely no point. We did the road tax. Difference between her and the other party was that she listened and understood - saw a little bit of realisation dawn in her.
But the second one, just incredible, and coming out with some of the bizarrely stupidity.
Me "cyclists don't need rear view mirrors, we can look over our shoulders."
Her " so you don't follow the rules of the road then, I have to have mirrors why don't you?"
Me "cyclists don't need them, drivers do. Cyclists aren't required to have them by law, drivers are. "
Her "so you're breaking the law then?" WTF?
Same with indicators, road tax, filtering, red lights etc etc. utter, utter stupidity. But really unpleasant with it.

OP, I don't think you can reason with a person like that. I would not even bother.

I do however spent my time evangelising cycling to the uninitiated. Not forceful or direct but when an opportunity up comes during a conversation on cycling or transport or sport. Thats how I got converted in the first when a mate told me about his bike years ago.

Interestingly the most common question that I am asked is about how difficult to ride road bike with drop bars.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I had a similarly frustrating discussion with my sister a few months ago... she claimed that it's too dangerous to cycle on quiet country lanes due to all the cars 'whizzing' past. I informed her that most of the time, they don't 'whiz' past, but slow down and overtake when safe(ish) to do so. But she was adamant, they all whiz past at speed. I asked her if she cycles on country lanes very often, to which she replied, "no, but i drive and i see them [cyclists] often enough." I suggested that maybe she shouldn't 'whiz' past cyclists on country lanes since cars whizzing past is a bit of a problem, at which point she began to claim (repeatedly) that cars aren't the problem, but cyclists are. :banghead:

The answer to the Primary is this document

Published by the Institute of Advanced Motorists

Cyclists are advised to take a prominent position in the road well ahead of any manoeuvre to ensure
they are in the right place at the right time. If they ride in the middle of the road it is probably not to
obstruct your path, but to ensure that they are seen by you and by other motorists.
Cyclists often ride at some distance from the kerb to avoid drains and potholes and to discourage motorists from
squeezing them on narrow roads. It is not in their interest to delay motorists deliberately.

We had a guy at work.......... producing this and pointing out that advanced motorists understood this, but he didn't made it his problem

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Never mind @Sara_H I get this all the time :hugs:
On a parallel note, today I was cycling on a shared path, actually it is the busiest shared path in town, going by the riverside, plenty of signs stating it is a shared path, when a woman (walking towards me 3 abreast, hehe!) shouted "cyclist should not use the pavements, they should use the roads" ...
Now, it was tea time, lots of cyclist coming and going, I can image her being very irritated :laugh:

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
On a parallel note, today I was cycling on a shared path, actually it is the busiest shared path in town, going by the riverside, plenty of signs stating it is a shared path, when a woman (walking towards me 3 abreast, hehe!) shouted "cyclist should not use the pavements, they should use the roads" ...
Now, it was tea time, lots of cyclist coming and going, I can image her being very irritated :laugh:
You're a saint Pat, if I had to engage with folks like this frequently I think my head would explode?

classic33

Leg End Member
How does one person walk three abreast?

Top Bottom