bkool and strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
forgive me fo rnot knowing where to put this , but is it frowned upon to put what you do on bkool onto strava ? i know i would be annoyed if someone had a kom and had never even been in the country . I put one on and got second going down a hill that in real life would have killed me as i went round a hair pin bend at about 60 that should have sent me sailing over the edge

burndust

Parts unknown...baby

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
forgive me fo rnot knowing where to put this , but is it frowned upon to put what you do on bkool onto strava ? i know i would be annoyed if someone had a kom and had never even been in the country . I put one on and got second going down a hill that in real life would have killed me as i went round a hair pin bend at about 60 that should have sent me sailing over the edge
I frown on it, but I suppose it has to be a personal decision. I don't see video rides as being fairly comparable to the real thing, and make sure I keep them separate. There's a brief discussion on the Bkool thread, with a link to a similar discussion on Strava's own forum.

bpsmith

Veteran

I am looking at getting a Tacx Vortex Smart in the next few days and just noticed your post.

I don't know anything about the Bkool trainers, but intrigued by the fact that you say you can do real world rides on the trainer and then output to gpx ready for Strava? Can you give me an idea of what the Bkool can do?

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i have only had one for a while but i am well pleased with it , you can ride in real time with others around the would , it makes it hard going up hills and easy going down , you can make bots to ride with at a set pace , ride 3d cartoon like ( i like that better at moment ) or ride alone off line - i even think you can download your own video rides and gpx and it simulates the hills as your going along - evans had it on offer for 300 with 3 months subscription for 1 euro
but i will go along with the general thought of if you aint rode the ride then it shouldnt go on strava - though i think i will put it on private just to keep log of what i am doing in 1 place

bpsmith

Veteran
Interesting. Is that the Pro model or the normal one?

I don't want to beat others, but intrigued how I could compete with myself against real world Strava rides. Will investigate further before buying.

harly

I will put my turbo rides on strava if I have done that same route out on the road just for comparisons and usually I can't beat what I do on the real ride but I do like to look , once I'm finished looking I switch the turbo ride onto indoor trainer so it comes off leaderboard ,

bpsmith

Veteran
That would be exactly my approach too. Pretty much decided on the Tacx though, so academic for me.

oliglynn

Über Member
As a regular, fair and competitive Strava user I would be mighty p*ssed off to see "simulated segment" turbo rides appear on segment leaderboards. As such equipement only adjusts resistance to mimic changes in gradient, they cannot account for corners, road surface, prevailing winds or any other of the many variables that determine a segment time, and can hence in no way reflect an accurate effort to segment time relationship, and should therefore not be compared to the real thing in a competitive forum.
To publicly post turbo rides that appear on segment leaderboards makes a mockery of the people actually out there pounding the roads for real - Keep them private for your own personal reference!

bpsmith

Veteran
I think the above owners have stated that's what they do. I decided not to get the bkool in the end as decided exactly that. It's not a fair comparison and that's all I wanted it for, in order to challenge myself over the Winter.

Strava is a strange one to fairly compare though. A fair proportion of the KOM's and top ten's are with serious tail winds, drafting behind mates, etc, and so unfair from an effort point of view. The irony is, you can't freewheel, draft or benefit from a tailwind on a Turbo.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
Strava are supposed to be working on something to separate vr and group rides from what I understand

simonsch

I think the way it is now is fine. You get to post your distance to Strava, flagged as a trainer ride, in order to log the amount you are doing. Veloviewer have a button to click on/off trainer rides on their summary page, to see how it adds to your yearly distance. And you can compare performance on individual VR rides with others doing them under the same circumstances (or very close to) on the BKool website. Seem fair to me...

Top Bottom