Bkool Go Trainer - using brakes and killing bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've searched the forum and can't find anyone else who has posted about this problem.

I set up my new Bkool Go and jumped on my bike, just to give it a spin. After a few seconds I got some (virtual) speed up and was having a great old time. Then I was politely reminded by my family that I was supposed to be doing something else. So I used the brakes on my bike to stop the trainer. I figured it was best to actually stop the wheels because I had to leave the room and there are kids in the house.

Now when I try and use the Bkool Pro the bearings sound horrific. A bit like they have been replaced by gravel. When I spin the rear wheel the response from the roller is like a bumpy road. The roller is also deafeningly loud. Too loud to even talk over.

I've been through the skimpy manual that came with the device and hunted online but can't find any mention anywhere of a severe warning to NEVER use brakes on a turbo. Am I the first person in the world to try it? Am I also the first person in the world to widdle £250 up the wall by destroying a turbo before even giving it a proper run?

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I’m on a solid concrete floor too, the bad sound is definitely coming from the roller, it’s not the floor vibrating.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I've been through the skimpy manual that came with the device and hunted online but can't find any mention anywhere of a severe warning to NEVER use brakes on a turbo. Am I the first person in the world to try it?
I have a smart pro, and often use the brake to stop the trainer at the end of a session before collapsing off the bike, it never occurred to me NOT to do so. I'd say i's a fault with the trainer, and it needs replacing as it's not fit for purpose.

Am I also the first person in the world to widdle £250 up the wall by destroying a turbo before even giving it a proper run?
Oh no, plenty of people on here have spent £850 or more on the New Wahoo Kickr only for the bearings to go (Take a look at the Wahoo Kickr/Core Faults thread) ... and someone spent even more on a Wattbike Atom for it not to play nicely with Zwift.

Last edited:

Heckler

I've sent this thing back to Wiggle now, but just for future reference if anyone else is having a similar problem and finds this thread, here's what the Bkool Go sounded like:

That's similar to what my Bkool Go sounded like before I fixed it. It's possible if the roller stopped moving and the fly wheel kept going it's unscrewed the nut at the end of the axle enough that the plastic flywheel on the axle end is fouling the sensor slightly on each rotation.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Wiggle have told me they’re sending the device to Bkool to get their opinion. This isn’t really the no quibble returns service I was expecting.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Hi Andrew, strange to see a name and face on here that I recognise from real life, how are you keeping? I'm friends with the guys from one:day:life and remember you from their gigging days in Ipswich, quite some time ago now Haha.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Hi Andrew, strange to see a name and face on here that I recognise from real life, how are you keeping? I'm friends with the guys from one:day:life and remember you from their gigging days in Ipswich, quite some time ago now Haha.

Well hello there! I still bump into the guys now and then. Max and I are roughly in the same industry and I’m a cheerful customer of Dan whenever I go near his wine shop :smile:

You’ve probably realised by now, but there’s a strong Suffolk contingent here on CycleChat!

Top Bottom