Bkool Power Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pally83

Über Member
I've just picked up a Smart Pro 2 and it's massively over reporting power compared with my PowerTap P1s. The Bkool software worked pretty well taking the power from the pedals then controlling the trainer's resistance but I can't get it to work properly with either Sufferfest or Zwift. ANT+ for Sufferfest (old laptop, no issues using power and dumb trainer), Bluetooth for Zwift and Bkool.

Example - the software thinks I'm putting out 300w when my power meter says 180w. The gap also changes depending on what gear I'm in.

I'm waiting for a response from Bkool but is there anything I can try in the meantime? Has anyone else experienced this?

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I've just picked up a Smart Pro 2 and it's massively over reporting power compared with my PowerTap P1s. The Bkool software worked pretty well taking the power from the pedals then controlling the trainer's resistance but I can't get it to work properly with either Sufferfest or Zwift. ANT+ for Sufferfest (old laptop, no issues using power and dumb trainer), Bluetooth for Zwift and Bkool.

Example - the software thinks I'm putting out 300w when my power meter says 180w. The gap also changes depending on what gear I'm in.

I'm waiting for a response from Bkool but is there anything I can try in the meantime? Has anyone else experienced this?
Unfortunately it is well reported that the Bkool units over report power. This is one reason why anyone with a non-Bkool trainer (e.g. NEO, Kickr etc) don't race on the BSIM as they have no chance of beating Bkool trainer users. 20%-30% over read differences are fairly 'normal'.

If you're training by 'feel' and don't care about the numbers, then the Bkool trainers are fine. If training by numbers they are not!

Brusgaard

Über Guru
This is one reason why anyone with a non-Bkool trainer (e.g. NEO, Kickr etc) don't race on the BSIM as they have no chance of beating Bkool trainer users. 20%-30% over read differences are fairly 'normal'.

You are living in the past @Whorty... Maybe you should try a recent version of Bkool instead of delivering false information… :smile:

Brusgaard

Über Guru

Yes, a Bkool Pro can sometimes overreport watts. Bluetooth only works with the Bkool Simulator, so no point in trying that with other platforms. On all other platforms you have to use ANT+ FE-C.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
You are living in the past @Whorty... Maybe you should try a recent version of Bkool instead of delivering false information… :smile:
Have they fixed the discrepancies then now, so all trainers are equal? If so, do you now race on your NEO when on BSIM or do you still use your Bkool Pro? If the Pro, why not switch to the NEO?

You're right, I've not been on BSIM for a couple of years, but if things are genuinely fair now it might be worth trying again :okay: Give @Bored Man a run for his money.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Have they fixed the discrepancies then now, so all trainers are equal? If so, do you now race on your NEO when on BSIM or do you still use your Bkool Pro? If the Pro, why not switch to the NEO?

You're right, I've not been on BSIM for a couple of years, but if things are genuinely fair now it might be worth trying again :okay: Give @Bored Man a run for his money.

Haven't used the Pro on BSIM since version 5 came out, because it effectively crippled it. I don't even have my Pro anymore. With the new BSIM I see no reason to use it, even when they fix the bug that effects mine, but not all Pros (1&2). My Pro is currently doing it's job on Zwift instead at a colleagues house. :smile: The Bkool Smart Bike still seems more equal than others, however. :tongue:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I'm waiting for a response from Bkool but is there anything I can try in the meantime?

You could try learning Mandarin.You’ll probably be fluent before you get a proper answer from bkool support.

All jokes aside those numbers seem high even by bkool standards. They do recalibrate units if you ask and that might be the way forward.

Blob84

Regular
I have to say that I am having the opposite problem, Bokool pro 2 is reading about 50watts less than my Rotor power meter.... contacting Bkool support for recalibration...

CXRAndy

Guru
My brother in law is using Bkool Pro with trainer road. He knows that the numbers aren't realistic, but he/we hope its consistent across training program

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
My brother in law is using Bkool Pro with trainer road. He knows that the numbers aren't realistic, but he/we hope its consistent across training program

I don’t think it will be entirely consistent do you? Just going on the guys on zwift having inconsistencies with it. But maybe it’s easier to spot on TrainerRoad?

OP
OP
pally83

pally83

Über Member
I've seen a few reports of it being wrong against proper power meters but not as wrong as I seem to be getting. Bkool have said they're releasing an update imminently that should hopefully iron some issues out. It's annoying because I played with a cheap Tacx smart trainer a while ago and that was fairly close - my plan was to use the turbo indoors and not have to faff about changing pedals between bikes (only a pain because I commute daily and supplement it with turbo work).

Alternatively, anyone want to buy a Bkool Smart Pro 2? ^_^

meiji

I'm having some power issues after getting the BKool set up for winter. It "felt" wrong so I put a different bike on the trainer and slapped some vector pedals on it alongside the crank based PM (magene ridge dual) already on it. Vector and Ridge agree more or less on power +/- 2-3% but the BKool is underreporting by probably 45-50%. I can run Zwift/Sufferfest using another PM to give me an accurate reading but I'd prefer not to as it means shuffling my vectors onto the bike I use on my trainer.

Anyone else experienced this?

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm having some power issues after getting the BKool set up for winter. It "felt" wrong so I put a different bike on the trainer and slapped some vector pedals on it alongside the crank based PM (magene ridge dual) already on it. Vector and Ridge agree more or less on power +/- 2-3% but the BKool is underreporting by probably 45-50%. I can run Zwift/Sufferfest using another PM to give me an accurate reading but I'd prefer not to as it means shuffling my vectors onto the bike I use on my trainer.

Anyone else experienced this?

Does resistance vary on the turbo? Common problem is the worm drive can stick or becomes worn and wont travel to the correct position. You cant repair it other than swapping it from a non working unit. Bkool dont sell parts

meiji

Does resistance vary on the turbo? Common problem is the worm drive can stick or becomes worn and wont travel to the correct position. You cant repair it other than swapping it from a non working unit. Bkool dont sell parts

Resistance definitely varies, just the power is miles off

Top Bottom