Bkool Power Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldwolfie

Veteran
I'm having some power issues after getting the BKool set up for winter. It "felt" wrong so I put a different bike on the trainer and slapped some vector pedals on it alongside the crank based PM (magene ridge dual) already on it. Vector and Ridge agree more or less on power +/- 2-3% but the BKool is underreporting by probably 45-50%. I can run Zwift/Sufferfest using another PM to give me an accurate reading but I'd prefer not to as it means shuffling my vectors onto the bike I use on my trainer.

Anyone else experienced this?
@meiji - Might be worth having a look at the Bkool Calibration thread, as I had a similar power issue with my Bkool Classic 2 trainer, which was resolved by Bkool support dialing into my turbo and loading an earlier version of the turbo firmware.

meiji

@meiji - Might be worth having a look at the Bkool Calibration thread, as I had a similar power issue with my Bkool Classic 2 trainer, which was resolved by Bkool support dialing into my turbo and loading an earlier version of the turbo firmware.

I'm waiting on their reply at the moment. The first ticket reply was idiotic so I'm not holding out much hope.

meiji

Other than Bkool logging into it remotely to calibrate the turbo. Swap the power supply or have it checked for correct voltage output.

I'll see what BKool say before I spend more money. The entire setup is almost exactly the same as it was 8 months ago when I dismantled it even down to the same extension cable. The only difference is I have an iMac instead of a Macbook to run zwift/sufferfest on.

Zidi

Question?
Have bkool pro 2.
On zwift i assume power and resistant are not the most accurate.. If i get myself a powermeter like stages ect... Then connect zwift power source to my new PM over Bluetooth and controlable via ant+ ... Would that give me the right numbers on power and resistance?
Anyone ever tried that?

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Question?
Have bkool pro 2.
On zwift i assume power and resistant are not the most accurate.. If i get myself a powermeter like stages ect... Then connect zwift power source to my new PM over Bluetooth and controlable via ant+ ... Would that give me the right numbers on power and resistance?
Anyone ever tried that?

The power (watts) will be more realistic, but the resistance has nothing to do with your watts. The resistance depends on the trainer‘s ability, your weight, the percentage you are riding etc.

The Bkool Pro (2) is by today’s standards a low end product, and you would be better off buiyng an Elite Suito or better if looking for accurate watts and higher resistance. A wheel-on trainer has far too many variables to get the correct watts/resistance.

But buying the Stages or other real powermeter gives you the option to compare outdoor watts with indoor ditto. Combined with the Pro it should offer a more fair race in Zwift, as the Pro sometimes inflates watts, giving you an unfair advantage. Other riders also use trainers, than can not simulate high percentage climbs either, but that is just the way it is...

I updated when I found the issue. Didn't fix anything unfortunately.

Just installed a FSA powerbox and checked power readings between Bkool Pro V1 and Powerbox and they were WAY OFF.
I had the same feelings that the Bkool was underreporting quite a lot.

Some examples.

Bkool 167W PowerBox 241
Bkool 130W PowerBox 202

I havenow moved to using the Bkool only to adjust for incline and use powerbox Crankset to measure power and Cadence(another issue here with Bkool underreoprting)

Top Bottom