Bkool Pro Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Tacx budget models seem poor for reliability, their top end are better. Wahoo are excellent for quality (you pay for it) Elite and Cyclops are others, which seem to have a reasonable reputation.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Just sorted the return out, shop was very accommodating. I had it on the Bkool gel mat. On the whole, very disappointed. I get the impression Bkool spend more on marketing and flashy packaging than they do on their products; I certainly don't think the thing is £450's worth of kit. Now I've done a bit more homework I can see their specs are very fluffy as well (1200w resistance, 68dB noise, Zwift compatibility, ANT+FE, none of which are 100% true). Very annoying and misleading and leaves a sour taste in the mouth!

Here's the problem though now; I've read there's reliability issues with Tacx and Wahoo prices are unbelievable so what's the alternative? Think I may be having a winter piling on the pounds...
Saw an Elite Direto reduced to £588 the other day (I've not used that retailer before) - https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/elite...9R_z6V-l7EEC3wj6HIsczRoYHtZ2v8UwaAmcCEALw_wcB

Seems a good price for a direct drive trainer with built in power meter which is £700-£750 everywhere else it seems.

Good review of it here - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/elite-direto-trainer-in-depth-review.html

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Just sorted the return out, shop was very accommodating. I had it on the Bkool gel mat. On the whole, very disappointed. I get the impression Bkool spend more on marketing and flashy packaging than they do on their products; I certainly don't think the thing is £450's worth of kit. Now I've done a bit more homework I can see their specs are very fluffy as well (1200w resistance, 68dB noise, Zwift compatibility, ANT+FE, none of which are 100% true). Very annoying and misleading and leaves a sour taste in the mouth!

Here's the problem though now; I've read there's reliability issues with Tacx and Wahoo prices are unbelievable so what's the alternative? Think I may be having a winter piling on the pounds...

I'm glad you got the result!

Yeah bkool are pretty much full of $hit! The comunity here have a similar opinion on the whole in that they seem to spend more on marketing than development...

To be honest there are some positives to bkool. But I think most of us have come to the conclusion they are outweighed by the negatives unfortunately. Lots of us have had a great time racing on the platform, but I couldn't in good conscience allow others to buy the unit knowing what I do now.

I think threads like this are an important as a way of highlighting there are much better trainers and platforms out there.

Is there a reason you don't fancy a direct drive trainer?

mrrodge

Regular
Is there a reason you don't fancy a direct drive trainer?

Wanted to share it with the other half, she hasn't really done any cycling and thought it'd be easier for her to get out the trainer and throw her hybrid on when I'm not around.

I do like the look of the Tacx Genius but I don't want it to break and it's a bit over budget. There's some guys I work with who are Kickr owners and die hard Zwifters, so I want to be able to ride with them on a (fairly) level playing field, without spending the cash they have. I dare say I may even still use the Bkool software (on my own though) to ride locals.

Can't believe it's such a mine field!

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Wanted to share it with the other half, she hasn't really done any cycling and thought it'd be easier for her to get out the trainer and throw her hybrid on when I'm not around.

I do like the look of the Tacx Genius but I don't want it to break and it's a bit over budget. There's some guys I work with who are Kickr owners and die hard Zwifters, so I want to be able to ride with them on a (fairly) level playing field, without spending the cash they have. I dare say I may even still use the Bkool software (on my own though) to ride locals.

Can't believe it's such a mine field!

Time to research then pounce on Black Friday - Maybe grab a bargain.

mrrodge

Regular
There's Genius trainers out there for as little as £550, but curiously they say 1500w resistance and not 2000w claimed on the Tacx site. The model number is the same, T2080. Is it a 2016/2017 thing?!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
There's Genius trainers out there for as little as £550, but curiously they say 1500w resistance and not 2000w claimed on the Tacx site. The model number is the same, T2080. Is it a 2016/2017 thing?!
There are loads of bargains on Ebay if you can live with second hand. Might be an inexpensive way to get into Zwift, see what you like, then buy a new/upgraded trainer at a later date :okay:

mrrodge

Regular
There are loads of bargains on Ebay if you can live with second hand. Might be an inexpensive way to get into Zwift, see what you like, then buy a new/upgraded trainer at a later date :okay:

Had a crack at eBay but many seem to be going for not far off the new price. Must be the time of year!

bobinski

Legendary Member
I would recommend a direct drive turbo. I appreciate it sounds like a hassle in some ways but then less worry about tyres, tyre pressure, calibration etc. Bridgy’s link is a good one. Lost of recommendations for the seller on FB. Sigma had some deals. Some also do ifc.

Edit
In fact if you are on FB- I am only on for work and zwifting-might be best to look on Zwift riders page and keep an eye out for recommendations. People often post when they have found trainer bargains.

mrrodge

Regular
I would recommend a direct drive turbo. I appreciate it sounds like a hassle in some ways but then less worry about tyres, tyre pressure, calibration etc. Bridgy’s link is a good one. Lost of recommendations for the seller on FB. Sigma had some deals. Some also do ifc.

Edit
In fact if you are on FB- I am only on for work and zwifting-might be best to look on Zwift riders page and keep an eye out for recommendations. People often post when they have found trainer bargains.

I know it looks a good one, but the other half won't put the thing on nor will her cassette work with it, being 9 speed. Think wheel on is my only option really. Nobody with experience with the kagura? Like I said, very new!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I know it looks a good one, but the other half won't put the thing on nor will her cassette work with it, being 9 speed. Think wheel on is my only option really. Nobody with experience with the kagura? Like I said, very new!
Not heard of that trainer, sorry. I'm definitely with you and prefer a wheel on trainer as direct drive is a faff if you can't leave the same bike on there all the time.

Top Bottom