BKool Pro resistance issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey guys,

I've been researching which turbo trainer to buy, and have opted for the BKool Pro trainer. However, I quickly set it up this evening, and started riding on a BKool video of Mont Ventoux, and the resistance seems ridiculously high. At the start, at around 1-2% gradient, it felt as though it were closer to 10%!

Have I neglected to do something to calibrate the machine before riding it, or is it a misjudgement on BKool's part... Or, dare I say it, a dud one?

Last edited:

RickB

professional procrastinator
Certainly doesn't sound right. There's no way for us to calibrate it. I take it your weight is entered correctly - that's the only thing we can change that affects resistance on hills, but not to the degree you're experiencing.

Sounds like you'll be emailing bkool for help I'm afraid.:sad:

Don't lose heart cause when you get sorted youll love it.

OP
OP
C

Christian Dransfield

Yeah, I've entered my weight etc. it's very frustrating, as the online courses and multiplayer options look great!

Time to ring Wiggle and BKool. Thanks for the reply!

Certainly doesn't sound right. There's no way for us to calibrate it. I take it your weight is entered correctly - that's the only thing we can change that affects resistance on hills, but not to the degree you're experiencing.

Sounds like you'll be emailing bkool for help I'm afraid.:sad:

Don't lose heart cause when you get sorted youll love it.

OP
OP
C

Christian Dransfield

I'm yet to contact Wiggle to ask about having it replaced, but BKool got back to me and suggested to do things that I've already done (put my weight in, manual hook the unit up to my computer etc).

I'm yet to try it on a course other than their official Mont Ventoux one, but I'm lucky enough to have climbed that mountain in person on a few occasions, and it felt nothing like it did when I was there.

Have you had yours replaced yet mate or have you not got that far yet?

Hi

Im having having similar problems.

Did u get it resolved?

Spodnie

I have just bought a Bkool Pro the resistance seems to be very close to expectations for me.

The issue I do have though is that when I am on cycling on a flat part of a course, I am almost in my highest gear. The perceived effort seems to correlate to the correct speed compared to my experience on the road but I am in a much higher gear, which means on any slight descent I am spinning out in my highest gear at 200w!

Anybody else have this problem?

il_pirata

I have just bought a Bkool Pro the resistance seems to be very close to expectations for me.

The issue I do have though is that when I am on cycling on a flat part of a course, I am almost in my highest gear. The perceived effort seems to correlate to the correct speed compared to my experience on the road but I am in a much higher gear, which means on any slight descent I am spinning out in my highest gear at 200w!

Anybody else have this problem?

I'm having the same issue, when the gradient is between 0-1.5% i'm having to spin out 53:11 to get near 200w. The power readings are accurate because my power meter shows similar. Up hill everything seems fine. Did you find a way round the issue?

Spodnie

I'm having the same issue, when the gradient is between 0-1.5% i'm having to spin out 53:11 to get near 200w. The power readings are accurate because my power meter shows similar. Up hill everything seems fine. Did you find a way round the issue?

I contacted Bkool through their website but as yet no reply, it doesn't look like there is a forum on the website either as I would be interested to see if this is the case for everyone.

Let me know if you get any answers.

Spodnie

I received a response from Bkool, in summary they said the speed in the simulator does not necessarily represent speed in real life. I'm not sure they really understood my question...

Irishrich

Über Member
I found that at first, I thought a 4% gradient felt like 10% out on the road in real life but I eventually got used to it and I suppose you can't get the exact feeling of climbing a hill on your bike from a simulator. I do feel the simulator makes hills seem tougher than they would be in real life as an 8% gradient today had me nearly falling off the bike with exhaustion whereas in real life I've been up gradients twice as steep that didn't feel as bad. I don't think it's a problem with your trainer, just getting used to a simulator that is never going to fully replicate the feeling of cycling on the road.

Top Bottom