Bkool Pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tint1n

Regular
Just ordered a Bkool Pro trainer, hopefully be here in a couple of days time.

Does anyone have any advice for starting out on it. This will be the first time I have used a turbo trainer.

Kind Regards

Matthew

Danny B

Be prepared to sweat a lot and get a fan to cool you down whilst on it!

RickB

professional procrastinator
As Danny says, a fan is near essential. Also, get a USB extension lead so that you can place your Ant+ dongle close to the back of the Bkool unit. The range is a bit limited on them and this has cured quite a few peoples problem with disconnections and drop-outs. I also use a camping mat under the bike and trainer to catch tyre dust and sweat!

There's a couple of Cyclechat leagues to join in with if you're interested too.

Chaingang. Flatter courses in the leagues. You can ride them at any time but we try to get everyone together for races on Thursday at 7pm and repeat again on Saturday at 5pm
http://www.bkool.com/group/show/72022

Mountain goats. -as the name suggested the only way is up! Great training for leg strength and endurance!
http://www.bkool.com/group/show/75682

OP
OP
T

Tint1n

Regular
I am planning on using this with my Ipad, I have ordered the correct adapter so will have to see how it goes. Until I get a bigger house I will have to use this as no room where my gaming pc is.

OP
OP
T

Tint1n

Regular
As Danny says, a fan is near essential. Also, get a USB extension lead so that you can place your Ant+ dongle close to the back of the Bkool unit. The range is a bit limited on them and this has cured quite a few peoples problem with disconnections and drop-outs. I also use a camping mat under the bike and trainer to catch tyre dust and sweat!

There's a couple of Cyclechat leagues to join in with if you're interested too.

Chaingang. Flatter courses in the leagues. You can ride them at any time but we try to get everyone together for races on Thursday at 7pm and repeat again on Saturday at 5pm
http://www.bkool.com/group/show/72022

Mountain goats. -as the name suggested the only way is up! Great training for leg strength and endurance!
http://www.bkool.com/group/show/75682

Thanks will look at them later. Do I need to have premium membership on Bkool to join the leagues?

RickB

professional procrastinator
Ah, yes indeed you do. Hadnt thought of that - but the Bkool trainer comes with at least a three month trial for 99p depending where it was bought. :becool:

OP
OP
T

Tint1n

Regular
Well my Trainer arrived, got it set up to the ipad last night, Had a blast for about 5mins just to test it was working ok. Have to say am very impressed with what I have seen so far. Looking forward to seeing what it is like on a full ride.

OP
OP
T

Tint1n

Regular
how are you getting on with it now, ordered mine this week just wondered if you had any new boy advice?

Getting on very well with it, Took a bit of playing around to get it set up, But worth it.

Niloc

Regular
I purchased a Bkool Pro for Christmas as I realised I was increasing in weight and decreasing in fitness at a faster rate. I am a bit bewildered over which are the best rides can anyone suggest good tides for around 10-20 miles so I can build up my fitness levels without thinking this it too hard and dropping dead? I am the wrong side of 50 but still like a bit of a challenge.

Any suggestions for routes or groups I can join with the same poor fitness levels? Also what rpm should I look to ride at bearing in mind my days of running 100m in 12s are well behind me?
Thanks in advance. Sorry for so many questions in one post but the Bkool web site is not that easy to get around.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I purchased a Bkool Pro for Christmas as I realised I was increasing in weight and decreasing in fitness at a faster rate. I am a bit bewildered over which are the best rides can anyone suggest good tides for around 10-20 miles so I can build up my fitness levels without thinking this it too hard and dropping dead? I am the wrong side of 50 but still like a bit of a challenge.

Any suggestions for routes or groups I can join with the same poor fitness levels? Also what rpm should I look to ride at bearing in mind my days of running 100m in 12s are well behind me?
Thanks in advance. Sorry for so many questions in one post but the Bkool web site is not that easy to get around.
Look at the cyclechat groups, they have been listed in the faq and other posts. A good variation of 'oh crap' to 'I will beat that time' :surrender:. Most are not easy, but when you join a live chaingang ride, can be a lot of fun :whistle:

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
I am a bit bewildered over which are the best rides can anyone suggest good tides for around 10-20 miles so I can build up my fitness levels without thinking this it too hard and dropping dead? I am the wrong side of 50 but still like a bit of a challenge.

On the Sessions page, there is a slider for you to set the distance of the ride you are looking for. It's in kms, so you might need your conversion tables.
There is also a slider for difficulty. Move it across to the left so that you only see "Easy" rides. If they are too easy, move it so you see "Moderate" rides as well. There are five levels in total, and you'll soon find the one that's right for you.
If you find a ride that you particularly enjoy, you can save it as a favourite and repeat it whenever you like - hopefully, you'll see yourself getting faster. On the other hand, one of the great things about Bkool is the number of different rides available, so it's nice to keep looking for new ones.

I don't do groups, but @theboxers has already pointed you in the right direction.

As for rpm, if you mean pedalling speed, or cadence, there's a school of thought that too slow puts more strain on your knees, but what too slow is has to vary for different people. Somewhere in the 70s or 80s is common. Some are faster than that, others are slower. See what feels comfortable, and work from there.

If by rpm you mean power (watts), then all you need to do is get a few rides in and note your average. Then try to improve it. It is very difficult to ride at a specific wattage for any length of time, whether on Bkool or out on the road. The average figure for the current ride is shown on the screen in smaller digits below the figure for current power. Try to keep the average at about the figure you want, but be aware that power is likely to increase on hills and decrease on descents.

The Rover

Guru
Well my Trainer arrived, got it set up to the ipad last night, Had a blast for about 5mins just to test it was working ok. Have to say am very impressed with what I have seen so far. Looking forward to seeing what it is like on a full ride.

I've set up the bkool pro that the lbs have lent me but I'm struggling to get it paired with my iPad. I've got a wahoo key for the iPad and the bkool green led light is coming on.
Did you have any issues pairing them or suggestions?
I've emailed bkool as well.

Cheers Stuart

OP
OP
T

Tint1n

Regular
I've set up the bkool pro that the lbs have lent me but I'm struggling to get it paired with my iPad. I've got a wahoo key for the iPad and the bkool green led light is coming on.
Did you have any issues pairing them or suggestions?
I've emailed bkool as well.

Cheers Stuart

Hi Stuart,

For some reason mine sometimes seems to struggle to pair automatically, I now pair it manually and pedal at the same time, this seems to work for me. I have heard of others having issues with connection dropping out and have been told to make sure ipad is close to rear of trainer.

Hope this helps

Regards

Matthew

The Rover

Guru
Thanks Matthew, I managed to sort it late last night and used the bkool tonight after work.
All was going well until it started making a really loud noise if I went over a 4.5% climb. At 7-10% I thought it was going to blow up!
I'll have a google tonight and then ring the lbs who've lent it me.

Thanks tor the reply.

Top Bottom