Black Cab Accident/Assault London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jmaccyd

tdr1nka said:
I
What astounds me, and forgive the plot spoiler, is that there are the cabs out there which have the facilities to take wheel chairs but it seems down to the discretion of the driver weather to take a computer cab passenger, who pays a reduced rate over that of say, an airport run with tip expected,

Sorry, have two things got confused here. All London Taxis are wheelchair accessable but only Comp Cab taxis can take your Mum's card (unless the last part of your post refers just to comp cab drivers) I don't exactly know how Comp Cab works so can't really comment beyond that.

So Metalguru

Did you go to the cops?

historyman

I know those green cycle lanes in tavistock place, I always felt when using them that someone would be hit sooner or later. (To be fair the black cabs were usually very watchful). Worth reporting to the council too?

handsome joe

Sorry for the rant.

Thinking about it i knew and know a lot of good cabbies. At school my best friend's old man was a cabbie. Spent all his working life outside Mile End station day and night but he never once missed dropping his son and me to our weekly football club. He told me some stories of the grief he got. The funny thing is when he died after approx. 25yrs cabbing his wife recieved a very large tax bill. They had to write if off. He didn't tell a soul and they only caught up with him after he'd kicked the bucket.......it gave us a lot of laughs at the funeral.

Getting back onto the subject i don't define myself by class but from what i see in society. That definition usually that you are judged by your outward appereance. I commute through Canary Wharf everyday.......admittedly against the flow of office boys and girls. I find people have less and less time for each other.

I am not saying that i want things to return to the 'good' old days. I remember what the Isle of Dogs/Canary Wharf looked like years ago after the docks closed down. Nobody wanted to live there becuase it was such a dump and did literally feel like an island.

Yes, the skyscrapers and infrastucture has improved things but the increase in wealth has reduced the amount of reliance communities did to get by. I remember being sent to knock on neighbours doors to borrow a cup of sugar and vice a versa.

Therefore people have got materially richer but communities get poorer and people spend their time locked away in their flats or houses not communicating with each other from one day to the next. Just getting up to go to work and returning to same routine.....1984?

I think this country has changed a lot. When i go to other countries i notice the difference from another perspective. Last time i went to Greece....ok it was slightly out of season.......my two kids got sooooo much lovely attention greeks. From a free ice cream there to being taken off to be passed around the family resturant with kisses and cuddles.

Do you know who complained the most about our kids being too noisy in not one but a handful of restuarants and in our hotel? IT WAS ALL THE ENGLISH PEOPLE! Belive me when i say my kids are very polite and quiet.

I'll take a breather now!

BentMikey said:
Not by me mate. Most cabbies are awesome, good drivers, and fun to chat to at the lights. The few bad ones are usually amongst the worst of scum, IMO.

Although this is a slightly crawly bum lick I agree with mikey.
2j69xg6.jpg

jmaccyd

handsome joe said:
Sorry for the rant.

Thinking about it i knew and know a lot of good cabbies. At school my best friend's old man was a cabbie. Spent all his working life outside Mile End station day and night but he never once missed dropping his son and me to our weekly football club. He told me some stories of the grief he got. The funny thing is when he died after approx. 25yrs cabbing his wife recieved a very large tax bill. They had to write if off. He didn't tell a soul and they only caught up with him after he'd kicked the bucket.......it gave us a lot of laughs at the funeral.

Getting back onto the subject i don't define myself by class but from what i see in society. That definition usually that you are judged by your outward appereance. I commute through Canary Wharf everyday.......admittedly against the flow of office boys and girls. I find people have less and less time for each other.

I am not saying that i want things to return to the 'good' old days. I remember what the Isle of Dogs/Canary Wharf looked like years ago after the docks closed down. Nobody wanted to live there becuase it was such a dump and did literally feel like an island.

Yes, the skyscrapers and infrastucture has improved things but the increase in wealth has reduced the amount of reliance communities did to get by. I remember being sent to knock on neighbours doors to borrow a cup of sugar and vice a versa.

Therefore people have got materially richer but communities get poorer and people spend their time locked away in their flats or houses not communicating with each other from one day to the next. Just getting up to go to work and returning to same routine.....1984?

I think this country has changed a lot. When i go to other countries i notice the difference from another perspective. Last time i went to Greece....ok it was slightly out of season.......my two kids got sooooo much lovely attention greeks. From a free ice cream there to being taken off to be passed around the family resturant with kisses and cuddles.

Do you know who complained the most about our kids being too noisy in not one but a handful of restuarants and in our hotel? IT WAS ALL THE ENGLISH PEOPLE! Belive me when i say my kids are very polite and quiet.

I'll take a breather now!

Well a less stresssed and decent society - you know the answer more people cycling!

stephenb

Guru
there are good cabbies & bad ones, just like there are good cyclists and others you'd cheerfully push over. cabbie took me and bike home from Smithfield market after last years Dunwich dynamo (too shattered to pedal the last 8 miles, pathetic I know). got to talking about bikes and stuff and he ended up giving me 20 quid for my LeJog charity ride.

stephenb said:
there are good cabbies & bad ones, just like there are good cyclists and others you'd cheerfully push over. cabbie took me and bike home from Smithfield market after last years Dunwich dynamo (too shattered to pedal the last 8 miles, pathetic I know). got to talking about bikes and stuff and he ended up giving me 20 quid for my LeJog charity ride.

should of called me:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

metalguru

Getting there...

Thanks for all the support and suggestions. I'm putting together my report for the police now (you can report crimes online). And I will follow it up, contact his insurance, contact the Black Cab register and Ken's minicab people.

Seen the doctor, I'm fine (which is what I thought, but no harm in checking) apart for a sore bum/stiff lower back.

The guy in my cycle shop (Chamberlaines - Kentish Town Road in Camden - they are fabulous, helpful with good prices) confirmed that the shattered helmet must have taken a severe knock when I bought my new helmet.

Gezza - no problem with cabbies as long as they treat others with respect, but funnily enough that's much how I feel about cyclists, pedestrians and motorists!

You all guessed right - it was the junction at Byng Place/Gordon Square

Sadly I have to agree with some of the other comments - Anglo-American consumer capitalism is turning us into overworked exhausted zombies consuming stuff we don't need or really want.

Quite different in France - hopefully the French won't let Sarkozy Thatcherise it!

First time I've been here - nice place, I'll be back if I can tear myself away from being an overworked zombie.

Top Bottom