Black Cab Accident/Assault London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

metalguru

Hi

I was cycling along a cycle path in Bloomsbury when a black cab approached the junction, didn't stop, I braked, too late, bumped his cab (I suspect no damage), I screamed at him (but wasn't abusive), he got out repeatedly shouting I'd hit his cab, tried to take my bike very aggressively, then paused, then forcibly pushed me to the ground which I hit very hard (my cycle helmet is in pieces at the back, my lower back is very sore) with my bike falling on top of me. I've got the cab number and two witnesses.

My reaction was over the top/hysterical - I suffer from panic attacks and am on medication, but I wasn't abusive (unusually it has to be said!), and, oh yes, I didn't assault him.

What should I do?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Report it as he has injured you - do it ASAP.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Report it to the Police I'd reckon.

*Note to moderators - would it be worth moving this topic to Commuting? This kind of thing seems to be discussed more often over there.*

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Report him, and make a claim on his insurance for your helmet, and leave open the possibility for a personal injury claim. Hitting him in his pocket will bring home the lesson that he shouldn't behave like that in a way nothing else can.

Report him to the police, and be prepared to insist that they take action. It's good that you've got witnesses. You can also point out that he didn't leave his name, address and insurance details, which is also an offence under the RTA.

Get down to the doc and get your back checked out too - that may be more serious than it at first appears.

Sounds like a really nasty incident, I hope your head is ok ( I mean your general mental/emotional state, not your cranium). I hate stuff like this.

Cab

The advice you have received here so far is sound.

The question I would ask is who had priority? Don't get me wrong, he assaulted you and thats bang out of line, but the initial incident is still relevant.

OP
OP
M

metalguru

Priority

Sorry, I thought that was clear. I had priority - he crossed give way lines onto a green cycle path at a junction, and I went straight into him. Fortunately I wasn't going that fast. It quite frankly couldn't have been clearer.

Cab

metalguru said:
Sorry, I thought that was clear. I had priority - he crossed give way lines onto a green cycle path at a junction, and I went straight into him. Fortunately I wasn't going that fast. It quite frankly couldn't have been clearer.

In which case, you've been injured, your vehicle damaged, then assaulted, and then he left the scene of the incident. You've got (independent?) witnesses... Go to the Police, and see to it that they're aware of him driving without care and attention, leaving the scene of an accident, ignoring road markings, and assault. They need to throw the book at this person. Don't play down your injuries at all, you may not be badly hurt but you've been hurt by this imbecile, and that matters.

i am a black cab driver myself(please dont shoot me down:blush:) guessing it was by tavistock sq area

without a shadow of a doubt report him!! make sure you get his plate number and badge number that way he can be traced,we dont need people like him in our business

what everyone else has said is sound advice

if anyone else has an accident with a black cab,just remember that they have their insurance details on display at all times with an insurance policy number,name, valid from/till etc........

just to let you know,i wouldnt be too sure about damage to his cab ,they are built with not very strong parts,had a prang last week and although no damage to third party's vehicle ,i had about £1000 worth of damage!!

get better soon !!!

PBancroft

Cab said:
In which case, you've been injured, your vehicle damaged, then assaulted, and then he left the scene of the incident. You've got (independent?) witnesses... Go to the Police, and see to it that they're aware of him driving without care and attention, leaving the scene of an accident, ignoring road markings, and assault. They need to throw the book at this person. Don't play down your injuries at all, you may not be badly hurt but you've been hurt by this imbecile, and that matters.

Absolutely agree. From what you have said there is no reason whatsoever why you should not go to the police.

Tynan

Veteran
to be clear, this isn't 'just' a traffic accident

he assaulted you and injured you, both are criminal matters that the police should pursue

follow them up if you can, as the cabbie says, this character has no business driving a ton and whatever of commercial vehicle around London all day

medals

Hi Metalguru,

Sorry to hear of what happened to you.
It must have really shook you up.:biggrin:
I suffer from panic attacks too and for people like us with our nerves on a knife edge anyway. This must have been very shocking.
You don't want his tw*t to get away with what he did, sure. He deserves to be prosecuted for assault, no doubt.
Thing is you've got to consider how much hassle it's going to be to persue this the way you're feeling at the moment.
What I'm trying to say is don't make yourself ill and stressed over this knobhead he's not worth it.
But, if you've got witnesses and you can identify the cab etc and most importantly, if you feel strong enough then you may want to go ahead and procecute.
I'm sure, seeing that he must have his share of abusive, vomiting, drunken yobs in his cab, that karma will make sure he gets his comeuppence.:angry:

dondare

Über Member
It happened in Byng Place, those cycle lanes are deadly. Cyclists have priority but are almost impossible to see and come from the wrong direction as often as not. Whoever designed these lanes should be made answerable for the accidents that happen in them.
The reaction of the cabbie was out of order and he should certainly be charged with assault.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
gezza said:
i am a black cab driver myself(please dont shoot me down:blush:) guessing it was by tavistock sq area

Not by me mate. Most cabbies are awesome, good drivers, and fun to chat to at the lights. The few bad ones are usually amongst the worst of scum, IMO.

Top Bottom