1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black ice - be careful...

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Maz, 5 Mar 2008.

1. Maz

Maz Guru

I came off the bike this morning when I hit the back of a pick-up truck.

I was on a downhill and the truck in front of me started to brake suddenly. I put my brakes on but skidded straight into him. Now my left wrist is very sore, there's a big rip in the saddle and the front mudguard keeps chafing against the tyre (must have bent the spoke things).

Anyway, be careful out there. Give yourself a bit of extra clearance space with the car in front on frosty mornings.

2. ;) sounds nasty, I hope you're not hurt too bad. Look on the bright side, sounds like it could of been worse.

3. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Take it easy Maz!

4. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

I'm ok, thanks, apart from the wrist which is now coming back to life again!

5. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Ouchee, glad you're OK mate!

Just tested it eh? ;)

6. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

Living up to your username BM?? ;):biggrin::biggrin:

7. Wolf04

Wolf04 New Member

Sound like the sort of accident that it's very good to able to walk away from. Glad you weren't more badly hurt. Black ice is the pits.

8. magnatom

magnatom Guest

;) Ouch!

Glad it was nothing more serious. Surely this is an excuse for a day off work! ;)

9. Wolf04

Wolf04 New Member

That's very kind of you, I'll just get my coat:biggrin::biggrin:

10. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

You have my sympathies, Maz. It's not nice stuff, black ice (he says, wincing at the memories...)

Glad that you came off relatively unscathed and I hope the wrist loosens off soon ;)

11. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

Holy bolero. Nae luck.

12. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Bad luck - wasn't too bad in Manchester today - icy yesterday on the side roads, and had to walk to the main road...

13. snapper_37

snapper_37 Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child

Hi Maz

Glad you're ok! I virtually crept to work today as had a nasty encounter with black ice 3 weeks ago. A cracked helmet, ruined leggings and top, as well as some nasty bruises, gashes and grit rash. I've still got a bit of whip lash!

Be careful out there.

14. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

not being funny promise

but what we say about a car skidding into the back of bike in the same circumstances? would we be so understanding

pleased to hear you walked away with nothing worse that some bumps

15. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

cheers, i thought i was ok...went to A+E this afternoon to get it checked out...turns out i've fractured a bone in my hand [one of the carpals, i think], so now have a cast on...no bike for 6 weeks. :angry: