Black ice - be careful...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Maz said:
cheers, i thought i was ok...went to A+E this afternoon to get it checked out...turns out i've fractured a bone in my hand [one of the carpals, i think], so now have a cast on...no bike for 6 weeks. :angry:

Bummer maz, sorry to hear that :biggrin:

No probs for me on my 330am commute but I was wary of mini-rounderbouts on this one.:angry:

Tynan - we would spark off about how the driver was doing a speed innapropriate to the conditions, and not paying enough attention to what is happening around them.

However, Maz admitted that he was travelling too fast and reacted late, and he has paid the price, so there seems little point in telling him.

Also it does have to be said that innatention / speed > ability on a bicycle hurts the rider much more than anyone else, as his broken wrist is testament to.

longers

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear about your bump Maz. It could have been worse though eh?
6 weeks no bike? :angry:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Maz said:
so now have a cast on...no bike for 6 weeks. :biggrin:

Unicycle - don't need hands? :angry:

Seriously - does the cast seem way too big and strangely positioned for the injury?

I had similar a couple of years ago. Sparring and blocked a kick with an open rather than closed fist. Kick hit my middle finger and broke the metacarpal (?) or as I call it 'the middle one of the bigger bones in my hand. Permanently shortened it - middle knuckles 5mm back from where it should be, (knew this'd be so from day 1.)

Cast didn't seem to restrict it in any meaningful way. I ended up taking it off after a week and replacing it with a homemade stainless steel splint, covered with a boxing elasticated hand wrap. Better effect and much less bulky.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
We got 8 inches of snow, yesterday, so I didn't ride. Rode today, though. Some roads were clear, some snow-packed, some black-ice. With the studded tyres, I didn't have any problems. HOWEVER, while turning left from a traffic light, (remember, here, we drive on the RIGHT side of the road) the car behind me passed me on the RIGHT, before I even had a chance to move to the right (2 lanes, each direction). Then, while waiting for him to pass, the guy behind him moved up behind me and flashed his lights (presumably signalling me to get out of his way). Hell, if his fellow idiot hadn't passed on my right, I'd have already BEEN out of his way! Just WHAT is the hurry? This was a SNOW-PACKED road! GRRRR!

Anyway, it turned out to be a beautiful, sunny day, and most of the snow was gone by quitting time! :-)

Joe

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
wafflycat said:
It's days like this I appreciate having a 'bent trike. It's just so much more stable on icy roads than a two-wheeled upright.

It's days like this when a recumbent trike takes 1.5 hours to get to work instead of the usual 45 minutes.

45 minutes from home to work's car park, then another 45 minutes spent playing in the car park doing handbrake turns before finally making it to your desk. (Or something like that from one of the URC regulars ages ago).

Maz,

That's nasty. You have my sympathy. Best way to look at an injury is that the day it happens is the first day on your road to recovery. Each day after that is a day closer to getting back on the bike.

I learned to think like that when I messed up my knee doing judo, needed an op and was off the mat for just over a year. :biggrin:

Wolf04

threefingerjoe said:
HOWEVER, while turning left from a traffic light, (remember, here, we drive on the RIGHT side of the road) the car behind me passed me on the RIGHT, before I even had a chance to move to the right (2 lanes, each direction). Then, while waiting for him to pass, the guy behind him moved up behind me and flashed his lights (presumably signalling me to get out of his way). Hell, if his fellow idiot hadn't passed on my right, I'd have already BEEN out of his way! Just WHAT is the hurry? This was a SNOW-PACKED road! GRRRR!

Oh you have them over there as well then:evil:
Pete

Top Bottom