Black Ice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
That's gonna hurt for a while. Glad nothing is broke tho. It's gonna be icy tomorrow. I went out to the local shops in my car earlier. The minute I pulled off, my windscreen iced over so I had to stop the car, get out and scrape it off! The roads round here are wet tonight so I don't fancy anyone's chances in the morning and have warned my fb cycling buddies to maybe leave it til after 10 am.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
sorry to hear about your off

my first ride in 3 weeks today,
couldn't believe how much ice was still about around 2:30pm!

Not sure how slow I was going as the comp was on strike, hopefully not so bad tomorrow - but forecast V-similar for these parts

did you see the local rag?
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Free...dents-single/story-25706143-detail/story.html

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Fell on it myself today :sad:
Cold but no ice here, all fine on the Wirral but going in to Chester I hit a patch, didn't see it.
Bruised back and backside, but apart from that I got off lightly, Just need to superglue the front light back together

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
Lots of ice today, never thawed out all day:cold:, had to stick mainly on 'A roads' today, had to turn back on a couple of minor 'B roads' because of the black ice on the roads, today's ride was hard work with a few hairy moments,
glad to hear there's no serious injuries for those who had an off today, Ride safe y'all :thumbsup:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I did a superhero skid a few years ago on black ice. Realised too late that I was cycling on a long stretch of it and just kept pedalling since it was the only option left to me having dismissed braking and steering. It worked right up to the point where the ice encased a ridge of frozen mud. The front wheel slipped and I went flying - landed on my front and there was so much ice that I kept going! Eventually came to halt with nothing damaged except my pride.

young Ed

Veteran
sorry to hear about your off

my first ride in 3 weeks today,
couldn't believe how much ice was still about around 2:30pm!

Not sure how slow I was going as the comp was on strike, hopefully not so bad tomorrow - but forecast V-similar for these parts

did you see the local rag?
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Free...dents-single/story-25706143-detail/story.html
as for the article linked to, probably going too fast and simply not a clue as to how to drive on ice and snow
due to the lack of snow and ice in britain we get lot of people crashing or coming off where as over in Sweden it is a fair bit rarer, probably due to the experience they are forced to gain every year and also the council is better prepared can sort out gritting and have snow ploughs etc as they are virtually guaranteed snow each year

one rather funny one in hind sight was when my grandad had a farm vet over and 2 minutes after she left she phoned to say she was stuck on the small private road connecting his and a few other houses to the real road, he came along on his brand new big quadbike with a shovel and dug her out and gave her a tow :smile:
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Well seems not too much damage was done!

Bike wise, all seems fine, the odd scratch here and there but I am less precious about that now, just proves I ride my bike, although I am not sure if it's my imagination the steering feels lighter, but there is no play so I think it's just a bit of being overly cautious, especially on corners until I build the confidence back!

Me wise bruised elbow, bit of a bruise on back of leg and pain in the tail bone area. Not sure if I was a bit concussed yesterday, although I don't recall hitting my head, but I had headache/nausea/dizziness and light sensitivity until late.

Did 20 miles though today, would have rather done more and was in the mood for it despite the wind, but got a puncture (:banghead:) and never trust I get enough pressure in with my mini pump, so I headed the 8 miles home. Turns out I got 60lb in so not too bad.

As previously posted this is NOT about headphones

One of the best defences is to know the sound of your bike and its road contact.

When you hit frost this will change to a hiss, and when you hit ice it will become silent

Not a lot of warning, but better than none

Andy Jeffery

Hi Folks just a note to say be careful out there when icy. Went out yesterday in sunny Shropshire only to go up a lane that had no sun on it. A bit of black ice and boom off I came, now sitting here with a nice bit of road rash and a swollen elbow!
Be careful when cold guys!

Top Bottom