Black or silver mudguards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobones

Veteran
To get better coverage, I'm thinking of replacing the SKS Commuter mudguards that are currently on my winter bike with either matte black SKS Bluemels, shiny black SKS Chromoplastics or silver Chromoplastics. The Commuters are quite short at the back and lack a mudflap at the front so my feet get splashed and they're not great for group rides. I can't decide whether to stick with silver or go with black. The frame is a 2011 Trek 1.5, mostly matte black, built up with spare parts. I might replace the bottle cages with black if I go that route. Can you help me decide?

trek15.jpg

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
Id go with the silver mudguards, there is enough black colour there already. Nice bike though.......

Norm

Looks nice, just needs a flap. :thumbsup:

Trying an extended flap is an FOC thing anyway. If you don't like it, you can spend your £££s on a new set but I like the look of that with the silver guards.

OP
OP
B

bobones

Veteran
Thanks for the replies. Adding flaps was my original plan, but the rear guard doesn't extend half way down the wheel as the other guards mentioned do. This means a rear flap would have to follow the curve of the wheel or it would hit the tyre. Maybe I can heat and shape some plastic container material?

I'd also leave as is but add a flap. However, if you do decide you must change them I'd recommend Tortec Reflectors :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

bobones

Veteran
I successfully made a flap for the front, but the back was probematic. I'd also put a couple of cracks in the rear guard following a crash so I ended up going for matte black Bluemels. I like the "meaner" all black look, but the silver ones were nice too. Not sure how effective these little spoilers will be. Thanks for all your suggestions :thumbsup:

trekblack1024.jpg

Top Bottom