Blackpool pavement cyclist decision today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
Cycling on the pavement is perfectly legal in many countries.

This guy was reckless.

Gatters

you can cycle on the pavement legally in parts of this country, If he was a dick he deserve what he gets it gives us all a bad name...

Sandra6

Veteran
You can legally cycle on a pavement in Britain if your life is regarded as being in danger, also that mother was being totally irresponsible letting a small child run free, towards a main road
The child was following the mother, and the dad ( possibly) was right behind. That's not irresponsible.
The guy should've been riding on the road. End of.

Bianchi boy

Über Member
The child was following the mother, and the dad ( possibly) was right behind. That's not irresponsible.
The guy should've been riding on the road. End of.
unless his life was in danger, a responsible parent of a child that age should have been more attentive

Dan B

Disengaged member
unless his life was in danger, a responsible parent of a child that age should have been more attentive
If the child had run onto the road, you would have a point. But the child was on the pavement, so you don't have a point. If a 3'1 adult had walked out of their gate the cyclist would have hit them just the same, so don't make this out to be anything the child (or their parents) did wrong

Dan B

Disengaged member
You can legally cycle on a pavement in Britain if your life is regarded as being in danger
No you can't. The guidance from the Home Office is
"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."
but that still doesn't make it actually legal. Also, a responsible cyclist does not ride his bike into pedestrians, so I doubt this guidance would apply anyway ...

Bianchi boy

Über Member
No you can't. The guidance from the Home Office is

but that still doesn't make it actually legal. Also, a responsible cyclist does not ride his bike into pedestrians, so I doubt this guidance would apply anyway ...
correct, a responsible cyclist does not ride his/her bike into a pedestrian, just as this cyclist did not ride his bike into a pedestrian, in this case the pedestrian ran in front of the cyclist

Dan B

Disengaged member
correct, a responsible cyclist does not ride his/her bike into a pedestrian, just as this cyclist did not ride his bike into a pedestrian, in this case the pedestrian ran in front of the cyclist
Paul Boateng said:
... and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so
Tell me if my expectations are too high here, but I'd have thought that dragging a toddler 12 feet along the pavement does not fall within the parameters of "showing consideration" towards them

Top Bottom