Blatant fibs from the cops.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
spindrift said:
I simply don't believe that not one car ran the light over 5 days.
Console yourself, spindrift...the cop cars probably did.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Sure, as long as you give me a fiver for every cyclist that jumps the lights, deal?

Of course not. I'm not saying cyclists don't RLJ, I'm saying that I see cars do it every single day and the cops do nothing! This is selective targetting, you may as well only stop ginger people who break the speed limit, although that ignores the fact that RLJing cyclists are suicidal, RLJing drivers are homicidal.

spindrift said:
Sure, as long as you give me a fiver for every cyclist that jumps the lights, deal?

Of course not. I'm not saying cyclists don't RLJ, I'm saying that I see cars do it every single day and the cops do nothing! This is selective targetting, you may as well only stop ginger people who break the speed limit, although that ignores the fact that RLJing cyclists are suicidal, RLJing drivers are homicidal.

For years cyclists have been allowed to do whatever they want, ride the pavements, ignore red lights and pedestrian crossings, ride the wrong way down roads, ride without lights at night.

If you want to talk about targeting then get it right, cyclists have assisted the powers that be to target them for years, by being irresponsible, all the government/police had to do was ignore them and the public could get suitably wound up to a point of viewing us all as scum. Now they can clamp down all they like.

As soon as the motorcar was invented, cyclists became undesirable road users.

This subset of cyclists jumping red lights and riding unlit at nights, riding the pavements, traveling against traffic etc... have screwed it for the rest of us, if you want to get angry with someone, try those brainless fools.

domtyler

Über Member
spindrift said:

Spinners, just deal with the fact that the particular exercise you have mentioned was specifically to target cyclists.

The chain of events will be something like, a number of complaints come in about light jumping cyclists, boss cop says to traffic cops "go out and catch x cyclists jumping lights so that I can go back and report this in the paper/at the local council meeting". Off they go and book their x cyclists, once done they go back to the station, the next week their boos reports in the paper/at the meeting that his boys have been busy all week, they have caught x cyclists and issued fines/tickets, we are committed to making the roads safer for everyone etc.

Everyone goes home happy.

The end.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

For years cyclists have been allowed to do whatever they want, ride the pavements, ignore red lights and pedestrian crossings, ride the wrong way down roads, ride without lights at night.

Garbage, as what's happening on Holborn today proves.

In february last year alone over 200 cyclists received FPNs for RLJing. In the same period no driver in London was fined for bloking an ASL, mandatory cycle lane or driving on a mobile. This is selective policing, and easy way for cops to bump their statistics up. I've no clue where you get the idea that cyclists aren't policed, the opposite is plainly true.

domtyler

Über Member
Catrike UK said:

If you want to talk about targeting then get it right, cyclists have assisted the powers that be to target them for years, by being irresponsible, all the government/police had to do was ignore them and the public could get suitably wound up to a point of viewing us all as scum. Now they can clamp down all they like.

As soon as the motorcar was invented, cyclists became undesirable road users.

This subset of cyclists jumping red lights and riding unlit at nights, riding the pavements, traveling against traffic etc... have screwed it for the rest of us, if you want to get angry with someone, try those brainless fools.

This is just a brainless rant. :biggrin:

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Spinners, just deal with the fact that the particular exercise you have mentioned was specifically to target cyclists.

Actually, no. All road users are supposed to be targetted in these exercises, but drivers received "advice" and were handed an A4 sheet about blocking ASLs. Cyclists were fined.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
spindrift said:

In february last year alone over 200 cyclists received FPNs for RLJing. In the same period no driver in London was fined for bloking an ASL, mandatory cycle lane or driving on a mobile. This is selective policing, and easy way for cops to bump their statistics up. I've no clue where you get the idea that cyclists aren't policed, the opposite is plainly true.

In the same period, how many drivers were done for drink driving and speeding etc...

Personally, I don't give a shoot if a driver goes into an ASL, I'll just sticky myself in front of him. I'd rather the police catch people with no MOT or insurance, speeder, drinkers, etc etc, rather than waste time doing them for going in ASLs just to make cyclists feel their being fair......

domtyler

Über Member
spindrift said:

Actually, no. All road users are supposed to be targetted in these exercises, but drivers received "advice" and were handed an A4 sheet about blocking ASLs. Cyclists were fined.

Motorists ARE targeted mate, just ride down any road and look at the amount of hardware at the side of roads that is painted on day glo yellow. Also, I know you go over bow flyover on your commute, you must regularly see the cops at the bottom of the east-bound slope in the evenings, no?

Bottom line is that they are making serious money out of people in their cars but bugger all out of cyclists, they only do it as an act of appeasement. I am sure they are all well aware of the fact that cyclists don't kill people on the roads, they still have to be seen to be doing something about the 'problem' though.

spindrift said:

Riding around here the police are completely blind to cyclists, also the fact they could book 200 cyclists in 5 days shows that cyclists expect to get away with it, try engaging your brain a little. If cyclists were as policed as motorists then there would not be the opportunity to book so many in a short period of time because cyclists would be more likely to obey the law, it's basic common sense with regards human behavior which you seem to be missing, one way or another.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

City Police issue more Fixed Penalty Notices to cyclists than any
other police force despite being the smallest.

But they have never prosecuted or issued any FPNs to drivers
obstructing cycle lanes or Advanced Stop Lines.

Senior police say it's simply up to the discretion of the officer at
the scene. We say their discretion is in fact discrimination and it
seems they're going for 'easy pickings' to reach their targets for
fining cyclists. Many cyclists were pleased to see City Police get
back on their bikes but now these feelings have changed dramatically
as the new units' main task is to harrass cyclists.

City Cyclist
This is a disgrace, it's clear the cops are discriminatory to
cyclists
whilst letting drivers off all over the place.

Here's the latest:
Between Monday 8th and Sunday 14th October the City of London Police
will again be running a campaign to "promote safer cycling in the
City".

The key message is around staying safe, which means the police will
not only focus on cyclists but also on drivers. Where drivers fail to
observe the advance stop line at automatic traffic signals, they will
be given educational leaflets pointing out the offence.

The City of London Police will also be targeting four 'hotspot'
junctions to enforce traffic regulations.
Cyclists get fined, drivers get handed a little piece of paper, way to
go guys.

Ralph's response:

The posting by City Police has provoked a record six responses to this
list
within half an hour, none of them positive, to put it mildly.

While asking the City Police in an open email if they could explain
the
locations chosen, we are simply told they have targetted "4 Hotspot
Public
road locations". Statistics show that cyclists are not to blame for
about
75% of collisions they are involved in, further that most collisions
don't
involve cyclists. Are these locations where there are high levels of
contraventions by cyclists, complaints by certain influential City
VIPs or
actually locations where there is a _casual link_ between cyclist
violations and collisions?

While the City Police claimed previously this enforcement was about
targetting all road offences and in the email below the aim is stated
as
to "deal with all offences committed on a public road", all the
figures
cited by the police relate to offences of people cycling _only_.
Indeed if
their statements are to be believed then the only offences at
the 'hotspots' were carried out by cyclists: "This shows a 37 %
decrease in
the amount of offences being committed at the location showing that
the
operation has had a marked and positive impact."

Given the response the City Police have faced at the City Cycle
Forum,
posting these figures to the cycling community without saying
anything
about enforcement against drivers is obviously going to provoke a
strongly
negative response and damage community relations. Further I feel as if
I
and City Cyclists have been seriously misled about this operation.

All in all while dialogue is generally good, in their first forray
into the
LCC the City Police has been handled particularly badly if not
stupidly.

spindrift said:
Here's the latest:
Between Monday 8th and Sunday 14th October the City of London Police
will again be running a campaign to "promote safer cycling in the
City".

And amazingly I will not be fined once while riding through the city in between those dates so the point is what? Some people breaking the law will be fined and some people will not be but given warnings. People not breaking the law will not be fined or given warnings.

What is the real answer to this? Cyclists don't break the law and the police can get on with prosecuting law breaking road users.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

While the City Police claimed previously this enforcement was about
targetting all road offences and in the email below the aim is stated
as to "deal with all offences committed on a public road", all the
figures cited by the police relate to offences of people cycling only.

Partisan, selective, descriminatory.

Top Bottom