Blaze Hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I had an interesting ride today, went up to Pott Shrigley and thought rather than the Old Brickworks I would go the other way saw a sign to Rainow didn't know the road and turned up a hill. Blimey what a monster, Blaze Hill. Got to the top thought I will zip across the main road to Whaley past the Goyt Valley hit another hill steeper than Blaze Hill not as long but I had to granny ring it standing on the pedals. Knackered but quite chuffed i made it. Any one wanting to put their climbing to the test in the Cheshire Manchester area it certainly is a good one and you can have a nice freewheel down to Macc on the Cat and Fiddle road afterwards.

Mental note to self check where you a riding before you go a for a Sunday constitutional. You might end up pushing yourself a bit more than anticipated :whistle:

Sounds like you went up Blaze Hill and then up Pym's Chair.

Characterbuilding...

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
That's what is good about trying different routes. I know those hills and they are hard, in fact my nemesis is round there, the road beside Lamaload reservoir, I've never got up it yet. :angry:It wasn't helped by the last time I tried it was after I got off I realised I wasn't actually in my bottom gear

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

The Lamaload Climb was the one I hit after Blaze Hill. Looked on the map last night. Looks like it is between 1in4 and 1in5. Shorter but harder than Blaze Hill imho. I ended up looking at the tarmac in front of the front wheel rather than up the road as I knew it would freak me out if i looked for the summit.

Character building is a good description.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good job you didn't turn left just before lamaload...and up Pyms Chair...that's a killer as the gradient varies alot, and it goes on for ages. Lamaload clime is hard to climb, I've lost traction trying to climb it in the dry, never mind wet. Blaze Hill is a proper lung buster.

Pym's Chair is at the top of the ridge between Lamaload and Goyt valleys. There's a info board thing, telling you about how Pym was a highwayman.

Three ways up
- Windgather Rocks, up from Kettleshulme is the easiest (sic) way
- The Street, up from Goyt
- what's normally called Pym's Chair is up from Lamaload side, up from Jenkin Chapel

Try going up from Pott Shrig up the Brickworks (Bakestonedale Rd), over top and down that storming descent to Kettleshulme, then up Windgather (signposted Dunge Gdns)

And then compare with going up Blaze Hill from Bolly, striaght over the at the Highwayman and over the top down Dead Man's Hill to Lamaload, turn left and keep dropping down, then up past Jenkin Chapel

First way might be a little easier...

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Thanks Andy

I will go via the Brickworks and Kettlsehulme and see how I get on.

fossyant

I did it the second way that AndyWRX said - TBH didn't get up Pyms on 39 x 24 - my knackered shoulder gave way - that was last year. The section from Jenkins Chapel is horrible, steep, eases off, steep, round a bend....etc you can't see where the top is...it just goes on and on. Windgather route is a good hard climb, but not a stupid gradient.

a_n_t

I like to dig this pic out of pyms chair at times like this.............................FEEL THE PAIN!! :smile:

pym1.jpg

and thats the easy bit near the the top!

fossyant

That's the easy bit at the end - the rest of the hill is a mare - I now know why the club runs used to avoid it in my yoof..............

I am very tempted to ride it again shortly, but with the Garmin on, and see how bad it really is - it's the only hill that I haven't got up.......... (ps never tackled it till last year).....grrrrrrrrr

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Went up Pym Chair from Kettleshulme this morning. Not too bad, I just have this horrible feeling the Lamaload climb to Pym Chair is going to be a killer. My MTB mate from Macc refers to the Lamaload climb as the devils ahole so i know it is going to be fun. I will save that for the next week or two.

a_n_t

Went up Pym Chair from Kettleshulme this morning. Not too bad, I just have this horrible feeling the Lamaload climb to Pym Chair is going to be a killer. My MTB mate from Macc refers to the Lamaload climb as the devils ahole so i know it is going to be fun. I will save that for the next week or two.

past windgather? probably the longest but easiest of the 3 routes up there. Get yourself past jenkins chapel and go up that way :thumbsup:

Top Bottom