Bleak Mid Winter CC Ride - London Sat 24th Jan.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Funnily enough I was mulling this over for subsequent rides. When Uncle James and I go out on longer journeys we take walkie talkies which are surprisingly useful (it's hard to chat anyway when on recumbents as you can't get close enough to hear each other).

If anyone else has some it might be worth bringing them on future rides.

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
All the roads up to Crystal Palace are a variation on the same theme, I've had a good run at them all in the past and with local knowledge now I can choose between them, depending on how fit I'm feeling.:wacko:

Westwood Hill, the one we encountered, was a daily commute for me, the return being that uphill stretch from the roundabout after Sydenham Station upward.
This was also during rush hour, it was winter, I will have been physically tired from laying on cold concrete fixing cars all day and I had little or no time to build up a head of steam before the rise.
The first time I realised I would have to ride that hill everyday my heart sank and the ashphalt rose up and away forever into the clouds.

Include several months of roadworks and a badly managed complete new traffic light and island installation at the top I rarely got a clear shot at that hill.

Aye, she's a tough mistress.;)

tdr1nka said:
Actually, this has given me an idea for another possible ride, 'The Hills Of Upper Norwood'.:biggrin:

"Sorry, I'll be busy that day - can't make it"

(Anyone for a cruise around Chelsea Harbour and an extended cake stop on the Kings Road followed by a steady climb to Knightsbridge...the dreaded 'Hautarrods', followed by tea at the Serpentine Café and the spectacle of fit birds rollerblading all humankind enjoying themselves?) :smile:

Origamist

Legendary Member
tdr1nka said:
Actually, this has given me an idea for another possible ride, 'The Hills Of Upper Norwood'.:biggrin:

Count me in for that.

It was good fun chasing Lee (three beeps) and his Catrike down the hills too.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Origamist said:
Count me in for that.

I agree with you there, Lee told me his trike wasn't very fast, so I spent all the ride chasing him, and trying to get in front, he got me everytime though. :biggrin: Great fun though.

It's also given me an idea for a ride, a fast 20 mile sprint in one direction, ending at a handy rail station to make it easy to get back to London.

wlc1

I'll be up for the hills.... wait for my March Hilly Surrey ride if anyone is interested.

It's going to be a little bit painful :smile:

Radius

SHREDDER
User1314 said:

Yup, sounds good :biggrin:

Origamist said:

djtheglove said:
I agree with you there, Lee told me his trike wasn't very fast, so I spent all the ride chasing him, and trying to get in front, he got me everytime though. :smile: Great fun though.

Yeah it was damned nippy down the hills...concentrating on him and dj / origamist who were usually just in front on the decents nearly cost me a dodgy ride over a rather untoward speed bump (thanks for the shout :biggrin:) :tongue:

It's also given me an idea for a ride, a fast 20 mile sprint in one direction, ending at a handy rail station to make it easy to get back to London.

Sprint as in a 'sprint sprint', or like a 'fast ride'? And what kind of wimp gets the train back? :smile:

ChrisKH said:
Davyo, you are welcome to use one of my bikes. Just let me know if you're interested. :biggrin:

Thanks, Chris, that's very kind of you! ;)

I'm not 100% sure of my movements at present, but I hope to make it; I'm trying to arrange two holidays (a 2-weeker, and a 1 weeker, in a 4 week time frame) so I'll be in touch. :thumbsup:

And almost no excuses now!

theboytaylor

WLC1 - when's the March ride?

Guys, it's a good job we did the Saturday. Sunday was horrible round Sarf East London - proper cold, rainy and gloomy. Think there would have been a mutiny before the end.

redjedi

Über Member
Thanks for the ride everyone. Thoroughly enjoyed myself, and good to put some more faces to names.

Nothing like a good "organised" ride ;)

Looking forward to the next one.

ChrisKH

Guru
Dayvo said:
Thanks, Chris, that's very kind of you! :thumbsup:

I'm not 100% sure of my movements at present, but I hope to make it; I'm trying to arrange two holidays (a 2-weeker, and a 1 weeker, in a 4 week time frame) so I'll be in touch. :biggrin:

And almost no excuses now!

No Colnago's or Wilier's in my stable I'm afraid. ;)

Sig SilverPrinter

topcat1 said:
It was good to meet you all, I had a great time.
Maybe the we should have a whistle for the last person to warn when the group is splitting like for red light/mechanical what do you think?

That'll be for me then!

Thanks tr1nka really enjoyed myself even though that hill nearly killed me.
Thanks to you and[I think]theboytaylor for getting me back to Tower Bridge.
And to round off a great day got home and found out west ham had won ;)

Top Bottom