Blimey that was close tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi
I went out for a nice quiet ride tonight after work. It was dusk when I set off and did around 15 mile to unwind in the perfect weather where getting at the moment. Getting close to home i went passed a junction were the traffic has to give way to me (a T junction for them) As i rode past it, this car came up to the junction and instinct told me he wasn't going to stop. Sure enough he came Broad sided at me. My reflexes instantly kicked in and i swerved to the opposite side of the road to avoid him hitting me. Bejesus did i shout and curse him.
He stopped further up the road and couldn't of been more apologetic. I was angry but he took the heat out of the situation with his apologies.
He said he didn't see me to which surprises me. I have very good lights and wear good reflective cycling gear. I felt like I've lost one of my 9 lives tonight

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Hi
I went out for a nice quiet ride tonight after work. It was dusk when I set off and did around 15 mile to unwind in the perfect weather where getting at the moment. Getting close to home i went passed a junction were the traffic has to give way to me (a T junction for them) As i rode past it, this car came up to the junction and instinct told me he wasn't going to stop. Sure enough he came Broad sided at me. My reflexes instantly kicked in and i swerved to the opposite side of the road to avoid him hitting me. Bejesus did i shout and curse him.
He stopped further up the road and couldn't of been more apologetic. I was angry but he took the heat out of the situation with his apologies.
He said he didn't see me to which surprises me. I have very good lights and wear good reflective cycling gear. I felt like I've lost one of my 9 lives tonight
My like is because you still have 8 lives left 👍

a.twiddler

Veteran
What he was sayng was that he didn't look properly. Trust not in Hi Viz and lights alone. Instinct, spidey senses, call them what you will, count for a lot. And you avoided a collision, you are still ahead. Plus the driver may be more observant in future, so you might potentially save a future less experienced cyclist the accident that you avoided in this case.

si_c

Guru
Keep in mind with modern lights that you may have been swamped by the lights from any cars behind you, just because your light is super bright doesn't mean it makes you visible. A flashing front light may have helped here.

As with most things, experience has given you the skills to avoid any trouble this time.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
All the above advice is all well and good.

But can someone translate that into deer. They are bar far the closest thing to wiping me out that I have come across recently. ^_^

figbat

Slippery scientist
All the above advice is all well and good.

But can someone translate that into deer. They are bar far the closest thing to wiping me out that I have come across recently. ^_^
A riding friend of mine was taken off his bike by a deer a few months ago and broke his collar bone.

To OP - I’d take the positives out of this; you anticipated it and avoided it. You may also have improved one person’s observation skills, at that junction at least.

siadwell

Guru
Reflectives won't help much in this situation as the driver's lights are not hitting you and reflecting back to him.

I don't know where you were positioned in the road, but it might help in such circumstances to be further out into the lane. When drivers look, they tend to be looking for motor vehicles and as they have two lights they fill the road as they get closer. Bike lights close to the kerb appear further away than they are.

Also, it might be worth wiggling the handlebars a bit in this situation so that your light has movement rather than just a slow moving point. A front helmet light can also help here as you can point it towards the driver.

Punkawallah

Über Member
He missed? Curses! Foiled again!

Seriously, I tend to look the buggers in the eye when I approach junctions - let them know you’re watching them.

Top Bottom