Blimey that was close tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
The one and only time I've been for a trip over a car bonnet was when a car waiting at a give way line pulled out in front of me. I had my front light on the fork leg at that time, and it occurs that the tyre and rim might have gone some way to obscuring his view of it, so I moved it up onto the bars. (Some years later I realised that my map holder might now be obscuring it from anyone high up in a lorry cab.)

Broadside

Guru
Saccades. Read up on it and it explains why some people look but don’t see. If they don’t make eye contact with you it is safe to assume you have not been seen so take avoiding action. It has saved me numerous times, twice this year so far.

https://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

united4ever

Über Member
Sounds a bit like my only major crash this. That instinct OP mentions when you feel they are not going to stop, do you listen to that? Potentially you could be stopping at every other junction that you have priority which would be farcical and cause more chaos. I remember that feeling though looking at a car which isn't slowing down as it approaches you on the junction.

tinywheels

Über Member
I find my trusty strobes to be most effective. Along with a
plethora of accompanying lights. I realise some are averse to such measures, but it's too late when your being dropped off in the morgue.

Hi
I went out for a nice quiet ride tonight after work. It was dusk when I set off and did around 15 mile to unwind in the perfect weather where getting at the moment. Getting close to home i went passed a junction were the traffic has to give way to me (a T junction for them) As i rode past it, this car came up to the junction and instinct told me he wasn't going to stop. Sure enough he came Broad sided at me. My reflexes instantly kicked in and i swerved to the opposite side of the road to avoid him hitting me. Bejesus did i shout and curse him.
He stopped further up the road and couldn't of been more apologetic. I was angry but he took the heat out of the situation with his apologies.
He said he didn't see me to which surprises me. I have very good lights and wear good reflective cycling gear. I felt like I've lost one of my 9 lives tonight
Unfortunately it doesn't surprise me, the London cyclist explains the SMIDSY phenonium quite well https://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

Top Bottom