Blind corner overtaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
For the same reason I ignore drivers who wave me on, I will move when Im comfortable moving. In a flip side of your experience, the driver usually just wants me out of the way and may not consider how fast or slow I can move.
Also, motorists waving me across a road have occasionally failed to notice another motorist overtaking them without due caution. You have to make your own assessments, even on group rides when it's another cyclist shouting "clear" - I have heard of riders mistakenly thinking that shout is to signal that they've cleared the junction, while others think it means it's clear to proceed :sad:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Interesting thread, this. Most of my recent riding has been around local winding country roads, and I've come across so many drivers taking chances on blind bends that I've found myself riding obstructively at the hotspots. As a newcomer to road cycling, I'm uncomfortable about this new role trying to educate the hasty drivers behind, where I may be putting myself in greater danger. Found myself checking for escape spots in the hedges. Adds to the gigantic sum total of all the stuff you have to experience that is the massive learning-curve of cycling.

My last couple of commutes I've took the most direct route, its a slightly busier rural road and the amount of muppets wanting to have a head on is unbelievable. I feel sorry for the opposing driver potentially killed by their recklessness, so far they've managed to stop but its getting a bit close for my liking I'm going to go back to my other routes :wacko:

My last couple of commutes I've took the most direct route, its a slightly busier rural road and the amount of muppets wanting to have a head on is unbelievable. I feel sorry for the opposing driver potentially killed by their recklessness, so far they've managed to stop but its getting a bit close for my liking I'm going to go back to my other routes :wacko:

My sentiments exactly.

As long as they don't hit me I don't care; but you do have to feel for the driver coming the other way, who is suddenly confronted
with Mad Max (just as likely Maxine) on the wrong side of the road.

Being self employed I sometimes pinch an hour at the end of the afternoon and that's when the 4x4's are out on the school runs.
I call them the invincibles.

Paul G

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The issue inst that they'll have a head on, it's that they'll swerve into you to avoid the head on.
Yes, that's a really screwed-up sense of priorities, when other options exist, such as braking to stay behind the cyclist, or just not going too damn fast in the first place!

It 's happened again.
400m from home, long hill with a left almost at the top. A metre high bank my side and a metre of flat grass/mud on the other.
A car comes up from behind and overtakes me without lifting off.
The car coming towards me takes to the grass/mud to avoid him/her.

Both cars were doing about 40 and it was over in a second.
I didn't even have time to **** myself. :eek:

Paul G

david k

Hi
I cycle mainly on unclassified roads through the villages of North Essex.
It seems that if a car/van catches me up as I approach, or am entering a blind bend it will overtake me,
irrespective of the possibility that something could be coming the other way. It happens almost every time I go out.
It's spoiling my ride, as at the first sound of a vehicle behind me all the possible scenarios start going through my head.
I know that on a country lane there isn't that much traffic, and the chances of meeting just at that exact spot
is low, but even if it's 0.1% that's an accident every 1000 cars that pass.

I'm running out of clean underwear.

Paul G

Yes this happens to me also in the north west.

What happens if a car is coming the opposite way? I guess they will pull in and knock me off rather than crash their car

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What happens if a car is coming the opposite way? I guess they will pull in and knock me off rather than crash their car
Yep. I've seen it happen: a Motor Parts Direct van, overtaking on a blind right-hander, met an oncoming car, so rather than stop and/or pull in behind, they sped up, pulled in and forced a rider in front of me to crash into the verge.

And if a motorist coming the other way is overtaking blind on a bend you're rounding, they'll stay out and crash head-on into you rather than what they're overtaking, unless you leave the road - which has happened to me, putting me in a hedge.

Always think about your escape route on blind bends, even if no motorist is visible. Spot the softest spot to ride onto/into and where you'd jump from the bike. It sucks that it's useful to do that. :sad:

Top Bottom