Blinkered parking!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Why is it then when somebody is parking they lose sight of everything other than their parking spot?!
I stopped off at a friends on the way home, when I was leaving I rolled my bike across the pavement to the dropped kerb to join the road, just as a car pulled in.
He passed, so I moved forward just as he decided to reverse ! He then back and forwarded a few times before stopping slap bang in front of me. Why?! He doesn't even live there!!!
Just round the corner from my house I am cycling down the cul de sac as a guy drives in on the wrong side of the road, and is most put out at having to go round me before he can pull in at his house!!! I am judging the level of "put out-ness" by the length of time he drove towards me for before finally stopping and realising I wasn't going to disappear!

Drago

Legendary Member
So did he park across a drop kerb?

D

Deleted member 26715

There seems a need around where I live to park a car facing the wrong way, as in against the traffic, then put their lights on full beam as they pull away completely blinding you.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Don't get me started! The parking outside my youngest son's school is atrocious. Apart from the fact that a large proportion of them drive from within less than half a mile on the same estate, the actual parking is surely the product of a five year old. They crowd to park as close to the gates as possible, parking on the kerb, across driveways, on bends, churning the grass verge into mush in winter. How the nearby home owners cope with it I don't know? If it was me being parked in on my own drive and witnessing people wantonly vandalising the previously neatly manicured grass verge that I had spent the entire summer repairing from the last winter's abuse I think I would be out there with a baseball bat showing them a piece of my mind!
The other infuriating thing they do is selfishly parking across multiple spaces. A parking bay that will easily fit 3 cars lengthways will often have only 2 small cars parked because the owners are parked half a car length from the end of the layby, what's that all about? :wacko:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Walking to the local shop last Saturday, I noted a car parked completely in the middle of the pavement, passenger door directly opposite shop door. The shop has double yellow lines outside it and so this lazy ****:cursing: decided to use the entire pavement and park as close as possible to the shop, presumably, to save a few moments walk from the parking spaces available a few yards further on. Good lord!..the inconvenience of walking 50 yards for some people!. Staggeringly lazy.

Anyone notice how 'normal' it is nowadays, for some drivers to automatically half mount the pavement while parking?.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Guy pulled across onto my side of the road so he could reverse into his drive yesterday , missed me by maybe 3-4 foot so i shouted a warning, he then chased me down the street nearly knocking me off twice .
Got out the car a good 6 " taller than me giving it large so i stood my ground and told him what i thought of his driving, g*y lycra tw*t is the best he could come back with .

We have issues with the local School's car boot sale

There is a massive and empty car park,yet every inch of pavement,verge and grass area adjacent is used as a car park

The last straw was when a neighbour could not get an ambulance due to the parking

The following week the Police had s presence and classically a driver "tooted" at a Constable so they could drive along the pavement to park on the verge

Over 60 tickets were issued in the first week

It is still an issue that has improved, but not been solved

We are now looking at whether the presently unlicensed CBS actually needs licensing as a market due to its size

GlenBen

Über Member
I love car parking discussions. :popcorn:

Can we have pictures too please?

Drago

Legendary Member
The problem from a policing perspective is that with parking de-regulation most parts of the country have seen powers devolved from the police to the local authorities. In most parts of the country the police can only deal with "obstruction" offences (and it has to be an actual obstruction, not a "fire engine might want to get down there one day" job), or "dangerous position" offences. The usual rubbish that simply makes life annoying or awkward such as abusing double yellows, 2 wheels up on the kerb, parking across pedestrian dropped kerbs etc are largely beyond the powers of the dibble in a large number of areas.

In the olde days people used to moan about police traffic wardens - now they're gone people moan about the parking chaos instead. Go figure.

Freds Dad

Veteran
Don't get me started! The parking outside my youngest son's school is atrocious. Apart from the fact that a large proportion of them drive from within less than half a mile on the same estate, the actual parking is surely the product of a five year old. They crowd to park as close to the gates as possible, parking on the kerb, across driveways, on bends, churning the grass verge into mush in winter. How the nearby home owners cope with it I don't know? If it was me being parked in on my own drive and witnessing people wantonly vandalising the previously neatly manicured grass verge that I had spent the entire summer repairing from the last winter's abuse I think I would be out there with a baseball bat showing them a piece of my mind!
The other infuriating thing they do is selfishly parking across multiple spaces. A parking bay that will easily fit 3 cars lengthways will often have only 2 small cars parked because the owners are parked half a car length from the end of the layby, what's that all about? :wacko:

Is it mainly mum's picking the kids up?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Can we have pictures too please?

IMG_4374.JPG

This was in Tesco's car park in Whitstable on Sunday. With a huge car park at his disposal, Mr unhelpful decides to leave his car blocking the main in/out road - hazard lights on and engine running, of course - while he uses the cash machine. Must have saved himself all of 20m extra walking.

I was tempted to take his keys and drop them in the drain but when I saw the size of the bastard, I'm glad I didn't.

Tescos at North Harbour is always fun....

We were parking when a middle aged couple drove their 4x4 into the disabled space we were reversing into

Left it parked diagonally and went into shop.... no blue badge

Had a word with the "Security" and they took us to customer reception who were very helpful

" Would the owner of Range Rover **** *** that has been abandoned in the disabled bay please remove the vehicle immediately"

No response

"Would the owner of Range Rover **** *** that is inconsiderately blocking a disabled bay please remove the vehicle"

At which point an almost apoplectic middle aged man starts demanding why his vehicle is being announced in such a way

Quick explanation from Security and he storms off to move the vehicle

Top Bottom