Blinkered parking!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
So did he park across a drop kerb?
His boot end was over the drop which is actually my friend's driveway.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
This is Castle Park in Bristol. A few years ago, the council finished landscaping this area. Almost immediately, motorists started using it as a free all day car park. Behind the white van, they rutted the new turf. They drive up the dropped kerb and line up along the pavement, even going as far along to be behind the bus stop.

castle park.jpg

Last year I was walking through here with my bike when a bloke drove up the kerb towards me. I refused to move, so he went around me and had the window down. Here is what the conversation went like:
ME: I’m sorry, this is a pedestrian area, and you can’t park here.
DRIVER: Yes I can, I’m a resident and I have a permit (obvious lie).
ME: This is not a residential area. There are no permits.
DRIVER: F*** Off
So off I went to find some police officer/parking warden (unsuccessfully) but by the time I returned, he’d gone. I think wife/girlfriend in the passenger seat probably told him he was being a complete T***er.
What gets my hackles up is the fact that some people drive around in £20,000 cars but don’t want to pay something like £3/hour parking. And they’re probably the same ones who moan about cyclists on pavements. But when it comes to parking for free......:evil:.

jarlrmai

Veteran
View attachment 335838

This was in Tesco's car park in Whitstable on Sunday. With a huge car park at his disposal, Mr Melonfarmer decides to leave his car blocking the main in/out road - hazard lights on and engine running, of course - while he uses the cash machine. Must have saved himself all of 20m extra walking.

I was tempted to take his keys and drop them in the drain but when I saw the size of the bastard, I'm glad I didn't.

This photo is basically suburban Britain summed up.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I once saw someone actually not parking on the road outside a village shop, due to snow and ice build-up at the kerbside.
He, considerately, drove into the unused 'car park' beside the store that was covered in an even layer of virgin snow.

It was the duckpond :laugh:

mustang1

Legendary Member
So did he park across a drop kerb?
What's the deal with dropped kerbs these days? I thought the rule was if they kerb isn't dropped, then even if theres a driveway, you can still park there. But these days I see loads of houses that do not have dropped kerbs but because cars have such large tires, they don't really need the dropped kerbs any more to park in the driveway.

Drago

Legendary Member
I once saw someone actually not parking on the road outside a village shop, due to snow and ice build-up at the kerbside.
He, considerately, drove into the unused 'car park' beside the store that was covered in an even layer of virgin snow.

It was the duckpond :laugh:

Much like this...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...8242EC3601ADD81300428242EC3601ADD81&FORM=VIRE

Drago

Legendary Member
We should have laws like Japan. No, not the one that allows the sale of soiled schoolgirls knickers from vending machines, but the one that won't grant you a permit to register, and thus drive, a car until you can prove you've got off road parking. No permit, then you can only have a tiny Kei car.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
We should have laws like Japan. No, not the one that allows the sale of soiled schoolgirls knickers from vending machines, but the one that won't grant you a permit to register, and thus drive, a car until you can prove you've got off road parking. No permit, then you can only have a tiny Kei car.

Totally on board with this idea. My home town is essentially a bloody great car park these days. Actually using the roads to get about the place rather than just somewhere to store your vehicle has become extremely difficult.

Drago

Legendary Member
Totally on board with this idea. My home town is essentially a bloody great car park these days. Actually using the roads to get about the place rather than just somewhere to store your vehicle has become extremely difficult.
Ideedy. Roads are for driving on. Paths are for walking on. Neither are intended for parking on (marked parking bays excepted, of course).

First thing I ask myself every time I've bought or rented a house, is "where will I park my car?" Dumping it in the road and inflicting it upon the rest of society has never been an option.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ideedy. Roads are for driving on. Paths are for walking on. Neither are intended for parking on (marked parking bays excepted, of course).

First thing I ask myself every time I've bought or rented a house, is "where will I park my car?" Dumping it in the road and inflicting it upon the rest of society has never been an option.

Stop people in cities from having cars parked on the street freeing up the streets for responsible people who have drives to park when they drive into town to work. Oh, hang on....

Top Bottom