Blinkered parking!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You folk would really blow a gasket if you lived in Italy - home of couldn't give a shoot <ah the cchat robot's charming efforts to protect our innocent minds>> parking. Parking on zebras is minor league compared to some of the stuff you see.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
back then a parent dropping you off would have been the height of shame, even worse than accidentally calling the teacher "mum".

^_^

I can't see the likes of The Lord Sainsbury ever voting in favour of smaller independent supermarkets that don't have a car park though....and whilst they and the retail parks keep springing up in locations ill-served by public transport, my point is it's unfair to single the less affluent car owner out to beat.

Huge free car parks are another bugbear - supermarkets don't pay the going rate for the land and it gives them an unfair commercial advantage. 'Free' car parks should be taxed heavily to reflect their true cost to society.

None of this is 'singling out' anyone. It's unfortunate that any punitive taxation on private cars is necessarily regressive but it is necessary for the long-term functioning of society. And it can be implemented as part of a progressive policy to improve public transport and cycling facilities designed to make it easier for people to ditch the car.

People are driving cars they can't afford, and that's not good for anyone in the long run.

But people also have to get out of the habit. I was in the habit..I used to drive the 1/2 mile to the local shop once. Suggesting people wheel a shopping trolley back from a local supermarket (or on a bus as we did when Tesco first opened out of town) now would be viewed as some kind of extreme trial - which of course it's not.

Yep, hence the moronic selfish parking you regularly witness in my local Tesco car park.

Last edited:

Sixmile

Veteran
People are driving cars they can't afford, and that's not good for anyone in the long run.

This is crazy but so true. Some folk just need to give the pretence of wealth though for their own ego. I just can't get my head around that some people would pay £300 or £400 a month for something like an Astra which they'll not even own at the end of a few years.

On supermarket parking, don't even start. It's just an accumulation of the most selfish people where the 'me first' mentality is in overdrive.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Similar to @Saluki 's tale

Waaay back in the day when I was a student one of our friends had a car (a 2CV) - very few students did in those days. Anyway, she got blocked by someone parking across her driveway, so me and my mate, being two large chaps, bounced the offending vehicle away from the driveway, into the middle of the road so she could get out, and left it there.

Looking back on it, not the cleverest thing to have done, but students aren't expected to be clever are they?

spen666

Legendary Member
...... Suggesting people wheel a shopping trolley back from a local supermarket (or on a bus as we did when Tesco first opened out of town) now would be viewed as some kind of extreme trial - which of course it's not.

Also, Tescos tend to look dimly on you taking their trolleys away, let alone on the bus.

BTW, do I need to get the trolley to tap in on the oyster card reader to pay for its fare?

screenman

Legendary Member
This is crazy but so true. Some folk just need to give the pretence of wealth though for their own ego. I just can't get my head around that some people would pay £300 or £400 a month for something like an Astra which they'll not even own at the end of a few years.

On supermarket parking, don't even start. It's just an accumulation of the most selfish people where the 'me first' mentality is in overdrive.

You can get a new Astra for £136 a month with a quick google.

Top Bottom