Blinkered parking!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
With automated cars there is no longer a need to park, just send it home or on a loop when you get out.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Why drive to Tesco when they'll deliver for free, or for a nominal fee?
But the delivery vans cause more congestion in residential streets as they can't park next to the kerb because the home owners car is parked there as they haven't used it to go shopping.

crazyjoe101

Isn't that a problem perpetuated by people insisting on car ownership regardless of whether they have appropriate storage facilities for their vehicle?
Since I began my commute, I've become more and more annoyed by this one car that is always parked blocking half the wide lane as it becomes two just before a bus stop and 50m before a set traffic lights. I have to swing all the way out a car width and a half to go around it fighting with 2 lanes of traffic just as people are trying to chop and change approaching the lights, buses have to do the same and then sweep right back in to make the bus stop... all because they can't find somewhere to park despite the driveway and pavement bays.

This is crazy but so true. Some folk just need to give the pretence of wealth though for their own ego. I just can't get my head around that some people would pay £300 or £400 a month for something like an Astra which they'll not even own at the end of a few years..
To be a bore and return to the italian perspective, i have been told, and can well believe it from other stuff I have been told/seen that a young person bringing home 800 EUROS (there are a lot of low wages in italy) will consider a car a priority. A young woman i know apparently dismissed the idea of a boyfriend without a car - "how is he going to take me places?" was the reasoning/cry.

The head of transport of a city I know felt the need to point out that it was not in the italian constitution that folk had the right to park directly outside anywhere they were visiting.

It could be worse, oh so much worse, though I fully agree that lots of progress needs to be made here.

D

Deleted member 1258

Not a Tesco trolley, one of those tartan bags on a wheeled frame that supergran bools along

One of these

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2885429

We have one in the shed, we used to use one when we were car free.

Sara_H

Guru
Someone locally to me wrote a blog post about an incident where she was stood on a pavement (with baby in pushchair) when a driver pulled up wanting to park on the pavement where she was standing, she stood her ground for a bit then got bullied out of the way, and I think (if memory serves) got shouted at by driver for not moving out of the way quick enough!

Sixmile

Veteran
Since I began my commute, I've become more and more annoyed by this one car that is always parked blocking half the wide lane as it becomes two just before a bus stop and 50m before a set traffic lights.

Yip, I hear ya. Once you've been commuting the same route for a while you start to notice the regular offenders. I've a few crazy drivers who fly past me flat out every morning that I've come to recognise. Then there's the green Micra Domino's delivery guy who is always flat to the mat and the hairdresser who always parks her white Audi outside her salon every morning well before the bus lane restriction ends. I've actually stopped and redirected traffic wardens down that stretch of road as it does my nut in every morning.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Someone locally to me wrote a blog post about an incident where she was stood on a pavement (with baby in pushchair) when a driver pulled up wanting to park on the pavement where she was standing, she stood her ground for a bit then got bullied out of the way, and I think (if memory serves) got shouted at by driver for not moving out of the way quick enough!

Stories like this are not good for my blood pressure! I like to think I would stand my ground in that situation but it's hard when you're being intimidated by someone wielding a car at you. Bastards. That behaviour should be regarded as assault with a deadly weapon.

Sara_H

Guru
Stories like this are not good for my blood pressure! I like to think I would stand my ground in that situation but it's hard when you're being intimidated by someone wielding a car at you. Bastards. That behaviour should be regarded as assault with a deadly weapon.
Me too! Infuriated!

Jody

Stubborn git
None of this is 'singling out' anyone. It's unfortunate that any punitive taxation on private cars is necessarily regressive but it is necessary for the long-term functioning of society. And it can be implemented as part of a progressive policy to improve public transport and cycling facilities designed to make it easier for people to ditch the car.

People are driving cars they can't afford, and that's not good for anyone in the long run.

Have you seen how much tax is increasing on new cars in the next couple of months?

Top Bottom