Blinkered parking!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Am I right that planning regulations for new build set parking at 0.75 spaces per property, and any parking provision on your new shoebox/house is now an extra cost on new estates?
It's probably part of the reason there's more metal than pavement on new estates.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Have you seen how much tax is increasing on new cars in the next couple of months?

No. Hope it's lots.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I would love someone to try that with me. I positively double dare them to even try. If it were a small enough car I'd lift it onto its side.

Guy banked the kerb and almost ran over my girlfriends foot a few years back, I had to be restrained.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The problem from a policing perspective is that with parking de-regulation most parts of the country have seen powers devolved from the police to the local authorities. In most parts of the country the police can only deal with "obstruction" offences (and it has to be an actual obstruction, not a "fire engine might want to get down there one day" job), or "dangerous position" offences. The usual rubbish that simply makes life annoying or awkward such as abusing double yellows, 2 wheels up on the kerb, parking across pedestrian dropped kerbs etc are largely beyond the powers of the dibble in a large number of areas.
While they can't deal with pavement parking, am I right in thinking that the police can still punish motorists for driving or parking on a solid-line cycle lane or cycle track because it's a traffic regulation offence?

But it was a classic bad idea: move parking enforcement from police to councils, then encourage councils to cut it back to the bare minimum (basically only the paid parking areas) and most will because the majority want to park badly elsewhere and don't have to live in the places which are blighted by inconsiderate parking. :sad:

mjr

Am I right that planning regulations for new build set parking at 0.75 spaces per property, and any parking provision on your new shoebox/house is now an extra cost on new estates?
No, not in any place that I've looked lately. The Parking Standards for Norfolk are space in a shed or garage or a cycle parking space for each unit, plus 1 visitor cycle space for every 4 units, plus 1 car space for a 1-bed, 2 for a 2/3-bed, 3 for a 4-bed unless the developer can argue successfully that there's already sufficient local car parking or public transport (major town centre or similar).

Of course, sometimes developers will try it on and see if they can sneak something past overworked planning officers and politicised planning committees because each car parking space is a bit less land for putting valuable houses onto, but it shouldn't happen.

What's more common is people in modern high-density developments refusing to use communal car parks because they don't trust their neighbours not to scratch their prized car, so they park it on the access road instead and then people start complaining about how the estate was built without enough car parking while everyone seems to have a huge blindspot about the vast mostly-empty tarmac behind/beside the groups of houses. :crazy:

subaqua

What’s the point
Why drive to Tesco when they'll deliver for free, or for a nominal fee?
Cos they pick the veg that's on its last legs. And it ain't the best to start with.

I have discovered a cracking stall on the local high street for veg that's lasting longer than the Tesco guff and is cheaper.

Don't need a car tho .....

Drago

Legendary Member
It's probably part of the reason there's more metal than pavement on new estates.
I don't know the technical ins and outs, but broadly speaking I believe you're correct. These rules were introduced by Tony B.Liars government to discourage car ownership. Instead, they encourage people to litter the roads and footpaths with their cars. Some of these new build estates are bad enough crammed in as it is, but with all the roads turned into car parks they're often horrendous to both look at and navigate.

Some years ago now, we looked at some "Executive houses"

Garage and drive looked tiny

When we enquired apparently a Ford Fiesta or Vauxhall Corsa is an "Executive car" and theses are what they were built to house (just)

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Worst parking story I have is from November last year at Sainsbury's in Burrton on Trent. Car was parked precisely within the parking bay but had engine running. Two staff were looking into the car and discussing who would leave a toddler in an unlocked car. As we walked into store one of the staff ran in ahead of us and we heard a tannoy announcement asking for the driver.
We walked up to the back of the store and upon looking out of the emergency exit window saw a guy go up to the.car, a Volvo 4x4, with 2 large bags of shopping, so not a rush in job. He put shopping in and drove out. I think staff should have removed keys and child then phoned Police.

mjr

I don't know the technical ins and outs, but broadly speaking I believe you're correct. These rules were introduced by Tony B.Liars government to discourage car ownership.
1. you may believe that, but can you find the rule? I think it's a popular myth promoted by the usual suspects.
2. whatever planning rules Blair introduced are basically long gone because the Cameron-Clegg government indulged in a bonfire of the rules (part of what they called The Red Tape Challenge) and replaced them with the National Planning Policy Framework in 2012... so if there is actually still a rule, it's because Cameron-Clegg also supported it.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The council round here started trying to enforce a rule that new houses were to be built with car ports, not garages. One of the reasons given was that the garages generally being proposed wouldn't fit anything bigger than a Fiesta and that there is a tendency to fill garages with junk and park the car outside.
Needless to say, that rule was swiftly appealed and appears to have been totally abandoned looking at what's been thrown up since.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The local angling fraternity like to park up for free all day on the new cyclepath/pavement on my commute in Bristol (8.30am today):
Photo0585.jpg

They're probably people who moan about pavement cyclists. If they are still around on my way home tonight, they may get a 'note on the windscreen'. I know someone who is up in court next month - one of the charges is driving over a pavement.

Drago

Legendary Member
The CPS have a 25 metre threshold policy before they'll prosecute for driving other than on a highway or road (else 2/3 of the Country would be in Court), so your chum must've really gone for it.

Top Bottom