Blinkered parking!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It matters not if they're delivering a pack of fags or a Sherman tank - the law re highway obstruction rules and regs are what they are.

Why should everyone else be inconvenienced or endangered because someone else thinks its a disproportionate hassle? After all, shoplifters think its a disproportionate hassle to pay form stuff, speeders think its a disproportionate hassle to be delayed by 30 seconds by obeying a speed limit, so why should any other class of law or rule breaker be ignored because to do the right thing is a 'disproportionate hassle'?

What makes them so special?

If you don't feel able to obey the rules of the road, then don't use the road. The regulations aren't simply an inconvenience to be ignored when it seems expedient to do. They're there to ensure convince and safety for all road users, not just whomsoever may be too lazy to park properly and havebto carry something an extra hundred yards.

We'll have to agree to differ. I think commo
It matters not if they're delivering a pack of fags or a Sherman tank - the law re highway obstruction rules and regs are what they are.

Why should everyone else be inconvenienced or endangered because someone else thinks its a disproportionate hassle? After all, shoplifters think its a disproportionate hassle to pay form stuff, speeders think its a disproportionate hassle to be delayed by 30 seconds by obeying a speed limit, so why should any other class of law or rule breaker be ignored because to do the right thing is a 'disproportionate hassle'?

What makes them so special?

If you don't feel able to obey the rules of the road, then don't use the road. The regulations aren't simply an inconvenience to be ignored when it seems expedient to do. They're there to ensure convince and safety for all road users, not just whomsoever may be too lazy to park properly and havebto carry something an extra hundred yards.

Think we'll have to agree to differ. Anyone who actually lives in town is prepared for a bit of give and take for deliveries to their neighbours. Rigorous enforcment means driving people out to the suburbs and hence entailling more daily driving to work. Not a good outcome

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I find it a bit odd that the cyclist claims he was driven at but doesn't put that bit of video up...
That seems a bit unfair when most constabularies tell us not to upload the video of the actual offence - Norfolk's page with that instruction is at https://www.norfolk.police.uk/contact-us/report-something/dashboard-camera-report-form, for example.

His blog demonstrates he's someone with very fixed views and a somewhat obsessive nature.
Most blogs are limited to one or two topics. I wouldn't extrapolate like that.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
But applying for permission at least allows the public to require mitigation measures or to restrict the length of time or time of day that it will be there

A fair point.

There's always an excuse, isn't there? Somehow we can move huge things vast distances, sometimes even whole buildings, but one reception desk and that's too difficult not to obstruct others.

Offence - Unnecessary obstruction.

I think you have both read my post through the lens of your own prejudices. We weren't blocking the pavement and the obstruction to the road was no different than any other narrow road where a parked car means effectively narrowing from 2 lanes to 1. The only difference was that nobody ever parks on that road as there is nothing for people to get to so it it usually clear.

I'm sure there are some occasions where points or perhaps even a ban make sense. Most bad parking however is just a minor nuisance caused by minor selfishness and small fines make sense if there is proper enforcement.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Illegal parking can be dangerous, particularly when Trumpton or Ambo want to get up the road but cant. It also can force pedestrians into the road, can obstruct a drivers view of pedestrians and other road users. Problem is, give people an inch and they inevitably start taking a mile. It should be ruthlessly enforced, and should be regarded every bit as seriously as speeding etc - if you can't control something as basic and fundamental as depositing a vehicle in a safe and lawful manner, then you really shouldn't be entrusted to do anything else with it.

Where I live, there are some prime examples of the 'dump it anywhere' school of parking. The smallest space on a corner is a favourite, preferably diagonally half on the pavement sticking out into the road. And if there is a wide-ish space on the pavement at a junction...hey...thats free off-road parking!.

Top Bottom