Blinkered parking!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
And do people get points for parking like Dilbert anyway? Like the ones above?
Nah. They shouldn't get points, a more proportionate response would be to coyote them by dropping a 1000kg weight on their car. Plus it would encourage the manufacturing sector, which they keep saying they want to do.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I live 10 yards away from a row of shops on a fairly busy road. The shops have a parking bay for 5 cars outside and then a further 20 yards away is a pay car park for around 20 cars. I have a driveway but can't have a dropped curb as there is a pedestrian island just left of my house which is fair enough as I've never owned a car, people visiting can work it out for themselves. The fun we have includes:
  • if the 5 bays are full, park alongside them. It's ok your hazards are on :wacko:
  • Pull up on the kerb outside my house. This is the favourite one. Sometimes I berate people for it, sometimes I can't be bothered. One time I got someone who half knew the law. "What do you want?". "What do you mean?". "Well you've parked illegally outside my house, you must want to talk to me about something awfully important". "I'm not parked illegally there's no dropped curb (I think they almost added "so there")". "But you've got two wheels on the pavement that's what makes it illegal". "F*** off"
  • But the best has to be the woman who actually parked on my drive. I was not best pleased and was waiting for her when she got back. "Why are you parked on my drive?". "I was only gone 30 seconds". "I really don't care. You're on my property". "It was 30 seconds for crying out loud". "You're really not getting this are you, it's my property" then she just drove off. :banghead:

It's not all bad though as I get to watch the traffic wardens issuing tickets on the odd days they move up from the High St. That's always hilariously funny.

Drago

Legendary Member
I listen to the parking attendants on my scanner. Quite entertaining. Cries of "call the police, I've just been assaulted" are almost daily occurrences.

It's pathetic and incredibly childish. Been caught breaking the law? Never mind, Bitch slap the person that caught you, that'll get you off the hook.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Nah, make it 3 points. That'll really distil peoples thinking.

It'll stop people treating speed limits as a target, parking like Dilbert, playing with their phones, and those that are too dense to learn will be off the road immediately they're caught, this making the roads a safer place.
It's already 3 points for parking on zig-zags but they are still routinely ignored. Best way would be to bring back parking to police traffic wardens so normal infractions get a ticket but anything more serious like obstruction gets points.

Also the 50% off if you pay quickly only for your vehicle's first offence in a three year period, after that it's full price.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
My neighbour is 87 and uses a disabled buggy to get about which she keeps in the rear garden shed. We live in a Terrace and share a tunnel between our houses. She came out one morning to find that some numpty that had parked half on the pavement, blocking her garden gate that opens outwards. First I knew about it is when her son knocked on my door and asked if I knew who the car belonged to. I offered to let her use my drive to get out but there wasn’t enough room between my porch legs and the garden wall to get her buggy through.

Long story short is that a few hours later a tow truck arrived to get rid of the car, which had been there all weekend. Just as the guy was checking the chains on the wheels, young 20-something bloke comes out of a house down the street across the road, speaks to the tow man who made a call. Next thing is that the tow truck guy leaves and Mr Numpty drives away, only to return two minutes later, parks on the other side of the street, same way – mostly on the pavement. I’ve seen this guy before, he lives in the house on the corner which we all refer to as the ‘ASBO’ house as there is a certain ‘social class’ of people live there, park their cars on the verge (rutted it), loud parties, dutiful father once bought his kids a mini moto which they raced up & down the street all day. See my post elsewhere under the ‘Mr Big ‘thread – it’s the same house. Bloke who owns it got arrested in the street two years ago. Lots of cars pull up outside the house and spend 5 minutes waiting outside while someone goes in to ‘make a purchase’. They all park on the pavement too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The integrity of the police is a can of worms, a meaty topic in its own right. But why should offenders have a bit of leeway when accruing points because some coppers might be unreliable? Why then 6 points? Surely there could be 2 unreliable coppers out there, so best make it 9 points... and so on.

Lets make it 3 points in the utopian cycling wonderland which would thrive under my premiership, but we'll set the evidential bar high. High quality photos of offences are now easy to acquire. Ditto videos, with body worn video being rolled out.
I'm not doubting their integrity but more their accuracy/consistency. Requiring video would address that.

At the moment, some minor offences come down to he said / he said and the courts seem to believe the police officer's memory, which is probably usually correct but not always. With only 3 points and a small fine at stake, the odd false positive isn't too painful, but I think there would be more challenges and more aggressive challenges if the stakes were higher.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I listen to the parking attendants on my scanner. Quite entertaining. Cries of "call the police, I've just been assaulted" are almost daily occurrences.

It's pathetic and incredibly childish. Been caught breaking the law? Never mind, Bitch slap the person that caught you, that'll get you off the hook.
If it looks like it's getting nasty nasty, I'll sometimes wander out in a friendly kind of way. I have a nice disarming smile.

I've only had to intervene once when some bloke was getting really nasty and racist about the fact he'd got a ticket but SWMBO is always terrified people will come back and brick the windows so she prefers me to stay out of it.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I'm not doubting their integrity but more their accuracy/consistency. Requiring video would address that.

At the moment, some minor offences come down to he said / he said and the courts seem to believe the police officer's memory, which is probably usually correct but not always. With only 3 points and a small fine at stake, the odd false positive isn't too painful, but I think there would be more challenges and more aggressive challenges if the stakes were higher.
A large part of being a policeman is being able to recall things with accuracy which is why you see them using their pocket book so much - cases can take six months to get to court and of course it is important to the justice system that their recollection can be relied upon. I suppose like any job else you get very good at the skills you need for the role.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
The local angling fraternity like to park up for free all day on the new cyclepath/pavement on my commute in Bristol (8.30am today):
View attachment 341543
They're probably people who moan about pavement cyclists. If they are still around on my way home tonight, they may get a 'note on the windscreen'. I know someone who is up in court next month - one of the charges is driving over a pavement.
Know anyone who can do a Danny MacAskill over the top?

Reactions: mjr

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Gone Fishing..again
Pesky cyclists..grrr!. Always riding on the pavement. I will have to moan to the local press about them. In the meantime, I want to go fishing.....where can I park for free all day?:
Photo0605.jpg

I don't know why the police don't do something about it.

Oh...

Not "on an urgent call" . Outside the station, just outside their car park and with parking space a few metres away behind the viewpoint. Parked on the dropped kerb, over the braille paving. Oh and I believe the car to the right with the reflective plate rendering the digits unreadable to flash, is a police (or employee of) vehicle

I started documenting their repeat pavement parking and got the "photographing police premises is against anti terrorism law" speech. Which I paid as much attention to as it deserved.

police-parking.jpg

Top Bottom